Rays' Shields fans 13 in shutout of MarlinsMay 22, 2011 - 11:31 PM
Shields (5-2) set a career high with 13 strikeouts, turning in his third complete game in 10 starts this year. He also was credited with a second- inning RBI.
"Oh yeah, I wanted to finish this one real bad. Any time you get to the ninth inning, you want to finish it," Shields admitted. "The guys really picked me up out there...I just found out I had 13 strikeouts, which is a career high, so that's also real good."
Matt Joyce, Casey Kotchman and Elliot Johnson knocked in a run each for the Rays, who salvaged a game in the set after losing by identical 5-3 scores in the first two contests.
Gaby Sanchez collected two hits for the Marlins, who have dropped three of five.
In his first career major-league start, Jay Buente (0-1) allowed five hits and four runs -- three earned -- with three walks over three full frames.
"I felt good in the bullpen before the game," Buente said. "You just wanna go out there and slow the game down, do what you want to do and get in the zone to find your pitches. I think I just have to get in that zone a little more."
The Rays picked up two runs in the second. With the bases loaded, Marlins third baseman Greg Dobbs mishandled a Shields grounder to allow one run to score, then a fielder's choice groundout from Johnson plated the second.
Joyce's RBI double and an RBI triple from Kotchman pushed the Tampa edge to 4-0 in the third.
That was all the offense Shields required. The 29-year-old retired the side in order in the first, then after a Sanchez base hit to lead off the second, he retired the next 17 batters before a Sanchez single with two down in the seventh.
Dobbs fanned to end that frame, and Shields only allowed a one-out hit to Omar Infante in the eighth and a two-out, ninth-inning walk to Logan Morrison for the remainder of the contest.
"I don't think we're so bad that you can throw a three-hit shutout against us, but I don't think he's that bad that he can give up 10 runs every outing. I feel like we got him that time, and he got us this time," said Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan about Shields, who pitched well after he was rocked in his previous start against Florida, last June 11.
Shields fanned 12 Angels in a 2-1 win on April 30. He also posted back-to-back complete-game victories on April 19 (White Sox) and 24 (at Toronto)...This was Shields' second whitewash of the season, after a 2-0 decision on April 24...Prior to the game, the Marlins reinstated pitcher Clay Hensley from the 15-day disabled list to complete the transaction begun following Saturday's game which saw the club option infielder Ozzie Martinez to Triple-A New Orleans.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
May 22 3:48 PM
- Casey Kotchman triple to center scored Matt Joyce with two outs. Runner on third and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 4, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 22 1:56 PM
- Matt Joyce double to right scored Evan Longoria with one out. Runner on second and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 3, Marlins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 22 1:52 PM
- Elliot Johnson ground ball fielder's choice, second to short scored Sean Rodriguez with two outs. James Shields out at second. Kelly Shoppach advances to third. Runners on first and third and Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 2, Marlins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 22 1:38 PM
- James Shields reached first on Greg Dobbs's fielding error scored Casey Kotchman with one out. On the play, Kelly Shoppach advances to second and Sean Rodriguez advances to third. Bases loaded and Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 1, Marlins 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 22 1:36 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 22 1:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21