Shields helps Rays blank BostonJun 15, 2011 - 6:29 AM
Shields (6-4) also tossed his third shutout of the year, giving up five hits with three walks while striking out five. The right-hander also won for the first time since May 22, snapping a three-start winless string.
Justin Ruggiano homered, while Casey Kotchman posted two hits and an RBI for the Rays, who have won six of their last eight outings.
"We are the defending American League East champs and we plan on defending it, capturing the flag again," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "I don't want anybody here thinking anything differently."
Adrian Gonzalez recorded three hits for the Red Sox, whose season-high nine- game win streak was halted. Boston, which scored at least five times in every contest during the burst, was blanked for the first time since May 29.
Tim Wakefield (3-2) worked seven innings and took the loss despite allowing just four hits and one earned run. The veteran knuckleballer did issue five walks and a wild pitch.
The Rays increased their lead from 2-0 to 4-0 in the eighth against a pair of Red Sox relievers. Matt Joyce led off with a double against Tommy Hottovy, then Evan Longoria was hit by a pitch ahead of Kotchman's RBI single. That brought in Alfredo Aceves, who retired B.J. Upton before allowing an RBI hit from John Jaso.
Shields completed his outing with a 1-2-3 ninth, which included Kotchman's ungraceful catch of an errant Longoria throw and tag of Kevin Youkilis for the second out.
"He kept the ball from hitting our bats pretty good," said ex-Ray and current Boston outfielder Carl Crawford. "I know those guys...whenever the Red Sox are in town, they kick it up a notch. I expected him to pitch one of his best games, and he did."
The Sox failed to push across a run despite loading the bases in the first inning, and also couldn't score with a two-on, one-out situation in the third after Youkilis grounded into an inning-ending double play.
Ben Zobrist also killed a Tampa rally in the home third, grounding out with two men in scoring position.
Ruggiano finally snapped the deadlock with a one-out solo homer in the fifth.
Tampa picked up another run in the sixth as Longoria walked with one out, advanced on a passed ball, moved to third on a fielder's choice grounder and scored on another passed ball.
Shields' last complete-game shutout came on May 22 at Florida, a 4-0 decision where he fanned 13 with one walk...He now has five career whitewashes and has gone the distance nine total times...Shields has also worked at least seven innings in 12 of his 14 starts this year...Wakefield threw a season-high 119 pitches, his most in any one start since September 18, 2003 when he tossed 119 in a 4-3 win for Boston at Tampa...Prior to the game, the Red Sox activated outfielder Darnell McDonald from the 15-day disabled list.
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 4
Jun 14 9:37 PM
- Justin Ruggiano flied out to center. On the play, John Jaso doubled off first to end the inning.
Red Sox 0, Rays 4 End 8Jun 14 9:30 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to left scored Matt Joyce. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and B.J. Upton due up.
Red Sox 0, Rays 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 14 9:21 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia's passed ball scored Evan Longoria. On the play, B.J. Upton advances to second on the passed ball. Runner on second with two outs and John Jaso at the plate.
Red Sox 0, Rays 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 14 8:42 PM
- Justin Ruggiano one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Reid Brignac due up.
Red Sox 0, Rays 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 14 8:19 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21