Beckett one-hits Rays; Youkilis' homer enough for Red SoxJun 16, 2011 - 5:35 AM
Beckett (6-2) recorded his fifth scoreless outing of the season, giving up only an infield single to Reid Brignac in the third inning and fanning six.
Kevin Youkilis hit a three-run blast in the seventh for the Red Sox, who have won 10 of their last 11 and recovered nicely from a 4-0 loss in Tuesday's series opener.
"This whole series has been really all about [pitching]," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "That's why I think we're going to be back-and-forth with these guys all season."
Jeremy Hellickson (7-5) gave up four hits -- including the game-deciding homer -- over seven full frames for the Rays, who had won three of four coming in.
The Sox snapped the scoreless deadlock in the seventh. Dustin Pedroia smacked a one-out triple, Adrian Gonzalez was intentionally walked, then Youkilis cleared the wall in left for a 3-0 Boston edge.
"I told myself to sit back and if [Hellickson] threw me a fastball I was going to turn on it," recalled Youkilis. "I was fortunate to get a good piece of it."
Beckett continued to cruise, setting down the Rays in order in the seventh, eighth and ninth. From Brignac's two-out base hit in the third, the 31-year- old right-hander retired the final 19 men he faced.
Hellickson was able to match the veteran through the first six innings, setting down the Red Sox in order in the second, third, fifth and sixth frames. The only blemishes to that point were a first-inning single from Pedroia and a leadoff walk issued to Jacoby Ellsbury.
It marked only the second time this season that Beckett did not walk a batter, with the first coming on April 27 at Baltimore in a 5-4 loss...Beckett has won four of his last five decisions dating back to May 14...Hellickson has dropped two straight starts and three of his last five...Rays designated hitter Johnny Damon went hitless in four at-bats, leaving him one double shy of becoming the 11th player all-time to post at least 500 doubles, 100 triples, 200 homers and 2,500 hits.
- BOSTON: 3
TAMPA BAY: 0
Jun 15 9:31 PM
- Kevin Youkilis one-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez. David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 0 Top 7, 1 OutJun 15 8:44 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 15 7:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21