Damon hurt, but Rays use late surge to rout TwinsJul 6, 2011 - 10:26 PM
Longoria drove in four runs and scored twice for Tampa Bay, which avoided a three-game sweep. Sean Rodriguez and Kelly Shoppach both hit two-run homers.
"As far as our team goes, we've been real streaky," Longoria said. "We've just got to find a way to consistently hit offensively."
The news was not all good for the Rays, who lost designated hitter Johnny Damon to injury. Damon was hit by a pitch in the first and third, with the latter resulting in a contusion on his left hand. Sam Fuld replaced Damon in the fourth.
Tampa Bay starter Wade Davis gave up four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits over five innings. J.P. Howell (2-1) tossed a scoreless inning of relief to pick up the win.
Michael Cuddyer hit a solo homer and knocked in three runs for the Twins, who went 6-3 on a nine-game homestand. Jim Thome drove in two runs.
"We got to get out there and try to win every series we can," Cuddyer said.
Minnesota starter Francisco Liriano allowed five runs on six hits over 4 1/3 innings. Alex Burnett (2-5) gave up four runs on four hits over 1 1/3 frames to suffer the loss.
With the score tied at five, the Rays scored four times in the eighth to go in front. Burnett, who recorded the final out of the seventh, stayed on to pitch the eighth for the Twins. Fuld singled and Ben Zobrist walked with one out. Longoria drove in Fuld with a single to left. B.J. Upton followed with a nice squeeze bunt to plate another run. Rodriguez stepped to the plate and hit a two-run homer to left for a 9-5 lead.
Longoria put the game away with a three-run homer off Phil Dumatrait in the ninth.
Minnesota left the bases loaded in the home ninth.
Shoppach broke a scoreless tie with a two-run homer off the left-field foul pole in the second.
The Twins got both runs back in the third. With men on second and third with one out, Cuddyer hit a two-run single to center.
Tampa Bay took the lead back in the fourth. Elliot Johnson stepped to the plate with men on first and second and two outs. He came through with an RBI single to left. Fuld came on as a pinch-hitter for Damon and worked a walk to load the bases. Zobrist followed with an RBI infield single to make it a 4-2 game.
Justin Ruggiano's run-scoring single in the fifth gave the Rays a 5-2 edge.
Minnesota scored twice in the home fifth to get within one. With men on first and second and two outs, Thome hit a two-run single to left-center field. Thome was thrown out at the plate two batters later on Rene Tosoni's base hit.
Cuddyer hit a solo homer to left in the seventh to make it a 5-5 game.
The Rays went 7-for-15 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10. The Twins went 3-for-12 with RISP and left 12 men on base...Each team had 14 hits...Damon is getting X-rays on his hand...Casey Kotchman went 3-for-4 with a run scored for Tampa Bay.
- TAMPA BAY: 12
Jul 6 4:45 PM
- Evan Longoria two-out, three-run Home Run (11) to left scored Sam Fuld and Ben Zobrist. B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 12, Twins 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 6 4:30 PM
- Sean Rodriguez two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Evan Longoria. Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 9, Twins 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 6 4:01 PM
- B.J. Upton sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Ben Zobrist with two out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to second. Runner on second and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 7, Twins 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 6 4:01 PM
- Evan Longoria single to left scored Sam Fuld with one out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to third. Runners on first and third and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 6, Twins 5 Top 8, 1 OutJul 6 4:00 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (13) to left. Jim Thome due up.
Rays 5, Twins 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 6 3:44 PM
- Jim Thome single to left scored Tsuyoshi Nishioka and Alexi Casilla with two out. Runner on first and Danny Valencia due up.
Rays 5, Twins 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 6 3:00 PM
- Justin Ruggiano single to left scored Sean Rodriguez with one out. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to second. Runners on first and second and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Rays 5, Twins 2 Top 5, 1 OutJul 6 2:36 PM
- Ben Zobrist infield single to third scored Kelly Shoppach with two out. On the play, Sam Fuld advances to second and Elliot Johnson advances to third. Bases loaded and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 4, Twins 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 6 2:22 PM
- Elliot Johnson single to left scored Casey Kotchman with two out. On the play, Kelly Shoppach advances to second. Runners on first and second and Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 3, Twins 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 6 2:18 PM
- Michael Cuddyer single to center scored Ben Revere and Alexi Casilla with one out. Runner on first and Jim Thome due up.
Rays 2, Twins 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 6 2:03 PM
- Kelly Shoppach two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Justin Ruggiano. Elliot Johnson due up.
Rays 2, Twins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 6 1:38 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 1:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22