Sabathia throws shutout, Yanks beat Rays 1-0Jul 10, 2011 - 10:24 PM
Sabathia became the first 13-game winner in the majors, outdueling Tampa Bay starter James Shields in the Yankees' 1-0 win.
New York capitalized on a pair of miscues in the seventh inning, as Robinson Cano scored from third on Shield's errant pickoff throw.
After Cano led off the seventh with a single to right field -- the first Yankee base runner since the third -- Jorge Posada flied out to center field. B.J. Upton then tried to double up Cano at first, but his throw sailed out of play, resulting in a two-base error.
"I just overthrew it. If I make a good throw, he's out," Upton said.
Russell Martin then grounded out to third before Shields (8-7) committed his costly error.
Sabathia (13-4) scattered four hits, walked one and struck out nine in his first shutout of the season.
"The pitch count was down today, so I got a chance to go out and finish," Sabathia said.
New York, at 53-35, heads into the All-Star break one game behind Boston for first place in the American League East. Tampa Bay (49-41) is six games behind the Red Sox.
Yankee Stadium was still buzzing Sunday after Jeter became the 28th member of the 3,000 hit club. Jeter, who hit a home run to reach the milestone and finished 5-for-5 with a go-ahead RBI single in New York's 5-4 victory, received a standing ovation from the crowd before Shields struck him out swinging in the first.
Jeter recorded career hit No. 3,004 -- a bunt single -- in the third after Eduardo Nunez started the frame by reaching on an infield single. Curtis Granderson sacrificed the runners over before Nunez was thrown out trying to score on fly ball to center by Mark Teixeira.
Yankees reliever David Robertson will replace Tampa Bay's David Price on the American League All-Star team...Sabathia was named as an All-Star replacement for Shields. However, with both Shields and Sabathia starting Sunday, neither is eligible to pitch in Tuesday's All-Star Game. Texas' Alexi Ogando was added to the AL pitching staff...The Yankees are now a MLB-best 26-5 in day games this season...Sabathia tossed his 12th career shutout...Shields allowed four hits, walked one and struck out five in eight innings...Jeter finished 1- for-4...Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez will have arthroscopic surgery Monday to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee and will be sidelined 4-6 weeks.
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW YORK: 1
Jul 10 3:19 PM
- James Shields throwing error on pickoff attempt scored Robinson Cano with two out. None on and Brett Gardner at the plate.
Rays 0, Yankees 1 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 10 2:58 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 10 1:08 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21