Price fans 14, Jennings homers twice in Rays routAug 29, 2011 - 1:13 AM
Desmond Jennings went 4-for-5, hit two homers -- his first career multi-home run game -- while Sean Rodriguez had a two-run shot for the Rays, who have won the first three of this four-game set.
Price (12-11) made the offensive output count by shutting down the Blue Jays. He gave up three hits, walked two, allowed one runner reach second base and continued his recent stretch of dominance.
"I felt pretty good. Me and (catcher John) Jaso were on the same page the whole game," Price said.
In his last four starts, the left-hander had given up three runs, 18 hits and nine walks in 31 innings.
Jays starter Brandon Morrow (9-9), on the other hand, allowed all three homers and five runs in the first two innings to put his team in a hole. He rebounded to pitch 5 1/3 innings, but took the loss as Toronto dropped its fourth consecutive game.
The game wasn't even a pitch old before the Rays grabbed the lead. Morrow's first pitch was a fastball that stayed up and in on Jennings, who turned on it and sent it over the left field wall.
It was a sign of things to come.
B.J. Upton walked with one away in the next inning, took second on a wild pitch, then stole third before scoring on John Jaso's double to left.
Rodriguez and Jennings followed by hitting back-to-back shots to left. Rodriguez sent an inside fastball into the seats, and Jennings made it 5-0 by hitting another high pitch out.
Ben Zobrist scored on an error in the seventh, but the game didn't become a rout until the ninth.
Facing Toronto reliever Wil Ledezma, Matt Joyce led off with a ground-rule double and scored on Jaso's triple to right. After Rodriguez walked, Jennings singled in a run.
An Evan Longoria sacrifice fly and Zobrist single brought in two more runs, and walks to Casey Kotchman and Upton preceded Joyce's two-RBI double.
Price's previous career high in strikeouts was 12, which he recorded on May 27 and June 28 this season...Jennings also stole a base...The Rays hold a 10-4 edge in the season series...Tampa Bay is a season-high 14 games over .500 (73-59).
- TAMPA BAY: 12
Aug 28 4:26 PM
- John Jaso flied out to center to end the inning.
Rays 12, Blue Jays 0 Mid 9Aug 28 4:16 PM
- Ben Zobrist singled to center scoring Desmond Jennings. Runner on first with two outs and Casey Kotchman due up.
Rays 10, Blue Jays 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 28 4:06 PM
- Evan Longoria's sacrifice fly to center scored Sean Rodriguez. On the play, Desmond Jennings advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 9, Blue Jays 0 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 28 4:06 PM
- Desmond Jennings singled to center scoring John Jaso. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Johnny Damon due up.
Rays 8, Blue Jays 0 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 28 4:04 PM
- John Jaso tripled to center scoring Matt Joyce. Runner on third with none out and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 7, Blue Jays 0 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 28 3:59 PM
- Matt Joyce singled to right. On the play, Joyce advanced to second on Jose Bautista's fielding error which scored Ben Zobrist. Casey Kotchman advances to third and Ben Zobrist scored on. Runners on second and third with one out and John Jaso due up
Rays 6, Blue Jays 0 Top 7, 1 OutAug 28 3:19 PM
- Desmond Jennings two-out, solo Home Run 2 (8) to left. Johnny Damon is due up. NOTE: Tampa Bay home runs are back-to-back.
Rays 5, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 1:37 PM
- Sean Rodriguez two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored John Jaso. Desmond Jennings is due up.
Rays 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 1:36 PM
- John Jaso doubled to left scoring B.J. Upton. Runner on second with two outs and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 28 1:35 PM
- Desmond Jennings lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Johnny Damon is due up.
Rays 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 28 1:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 28 1:10 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21