Rays beat Red Sox again, keep AL wild-card race interestingSep 19, 2011 - 2:03 AM
Desmond Jennings, Sean Rodriguez and Johnny Damon added an RBI apiece for the Rays, who won three of the four games in this set to pull within two games of the wild card-leading Red Sox.
"We answered the call. We knew we had to come in here and at least win three out of four. And we came in and we did it," said Rays center fielder B.J. Upton. "Our pitchers stepped up, our bullpen stepped up. We stepped up with the bats and it was just all around a good series."
Tampa Bay starter David Price gave up two runs on three hits over four innings. Jake McGee (3-1) allowed one run over 2 2/3 innings of relief to pick up the win.
Mike Aviles hit a three-run homer for Boston, which trails the Yankees by 4 1/2 games in the AL East. New York lost to Toronto on Sunday.
Knuckleballer Tim Wakefield (7-7) allowed six runs -- four earned -- on six hits over five innings to take the loss. He struck out five and walked one.
"He just never got into a real good rhythm. He threw some real good knuckleballs. He just seemed to be working out of the stretch a lot," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said about Wakefield.
Boston welcomes the Orioles to town for a four-game, three-day series on Monday, while the Rays head to New York to start a four-game set with the Yankees on Tuesday.
The Rays scored three runs in the second. Casey Kotchman advanced to first on a dropped third strike, moved to second on a passed ball and scored on Damon's double to right-center field. Joyce added a run-scoring single two batters later. Rodriguez was hit by a pitch before Jennings hit an RBI single for a 3-0 lead.
Tampa Bay tacked on another run in the fourth. Joyce doubled off the Green Monster, advanced to third on a passed ball and crossed the plate on Rodriguez's sac fly.
Boston got two runs back in the home fourth. Dustin Pedroia singled and David Ortiz walked to start the frame. Darnell McDonald knocked in both runners with a double to right-center field, cutting the gap to 4-2.
The Rays pushed two runs across in the fifth to create some distance again. Jennings singled, stole second, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on a passed ball. With one out, Evan Longoria singled and Kotchman walked. Ben Zobrist then reached first on Aviles's throwing error, which allowed another run to score.
Joyce's two-run single in the seventh made it an 8-2 contest. Aviles hit a three-run homer in the home half to cut the gap to three.
Joel Peralta tossed 1 1/3 scoreless frames to pick up his fifth save of the season.
Tampa Bay went 12-6 against the Red Sox this season, including a 7-2 mark at Fenway...Wakefield fell to 21-8 lifetime versus the Rays...The Red Sox went 2- for-11 with runners in scoring position and stranded six.
- TAMPA BAY: 8
Sep 18 5:33 PM
- Mike Aviles two-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Marco Scutaro and Jacoby Ellsbury. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rays 8, Red Sox 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 18 4:33 PM
- Reid Brignac struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rays 8, Red Sox 2 Mid 7Sep 18 4:15 PM
- Ben Zobrist reached first on Mike Aviles's throwing error scoring Evan Longoria with two out. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to third. Runners on second and third and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 6, Red Sox 2 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 18 3:29 PM
- Desmond Jenning scored on a passed ball. None on with none out and B.J. Upton at the plate.
Rays 5, Red Sox 2 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 18 3:18 PM
- Darnell McDonald double to right-center scored Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz with one out. Runner on second and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rays 4, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 18 3:05 PM
- Sean Rodriguez sacrifice fly to right scored Matt Joyce with two out. None on and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Rays 4, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 18 2:49 PM
- Desmond Jennings single to right scored Matt Joyce with two out. On the play, Sean Rodriguez advances to third. Runners on first and third and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 3, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 18 2:09 PM
- Matt Joyce single to center scored Johnny Damon with one out. Runner on first and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 2, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 1 OutSep 18 2:01 PM
- Johnny Damon double to right-center scored Casey Kotchman with none out. Runner on second and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 18 1:58 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Sep 18 1:40 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21