Yanks edge Twins to take seriesApr 7, 2011 - 11:03 PM
The series was originally scheduled to go four games, but Wednesday's contest was rained out and a makeup date has yet to be announced.
Andruw Jones drove in a run and scored while Russell Martin and Nick Swisher each had an RBI for the Yankees, who took two of three in the series. A.J. Burnett (2-0) tossed six innings and was charged with two runs on five hits with two walks and five strikeouts.
"I felt good out there and felt like I got stronger as things went on," said Burnett. "Being able to breathe in here is nice and it was a big difference from the other day."
Jim Thome hit an RBI double and scored and Denard Span and Jason Kubel each had an RBI for the Twins, who have lost four of six to start the season. Francisco Liriano (0-2) was touched for all four runs on four hits with three walks and five strikeouts over five innings.
"It's tough playing against the Yankees cause that's a good lineup over there," said Liriano. "We just have to keep playing hard and in the future make better pitches."
RBI doubles from Thome and Kubel in the fourth gave Minnesota a 2-1 lead, but the Yanks surged ahead in the bottom of the frame.
With two on and one out, Jones doubled to score Alex Rodriguez. Martin followed with a ground out to plate Robinson Cano and Gardner then singled to score Jones for a 4-2 advantage.
Joba Chamberlain came on for Burnett in the seventh, but allowed a run. With one out, Alexi Casilla was hit by a pitch and then stole second that saw him move to third on Martin's bad throw. Span then grounded out to make it a 4-3 contest.
Rafael Soriano then worked around a leadoff single by Joe Mauer in the eighth and Mariano Rivera threw a 1-2-3 ninth for his fourth save of the season.
The Yanks worked a run across in the third inning as Gardner walked, stole second, moved to third on a groundout and scored on a Swisher sacrifice fly.
Minnesota went ahead in the fourth as Justin Morneau led off with a double and scored while Thome hit a double off the wall in center. Michael Cuddyer then flied out, but Kubel plunked a double to score Thome for a 2-1 lead.
Minnesota Twins second baseman Tsuyoshi Nishioka left with an apparent left leg injury after being taken out by Swisher on a double play attempt in the Yankees' portion of the seventh inning...The Yankees travel to Boston for a three-game set with their winless arch-rivals starting on Friday...The Twins have their home opener on Friday against Oakland.
- MINNESOTA: 3
NEW YORK: 4
Apr 7 4:14 PM
- Denard Span grounded out first to pitcher scored Alexi Casilla. None on with two outs and Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Twins 3, Yankees 4 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 7 3:32 PM
- Brett Gardner singled to right scored Andruw Jones. Runner on first with two outs and Derek Jeter due up.
Twins 2, Yankees 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 7 2:42 PM
- Russell Martin grounded out to first scored Robinson Cano. Runner on third with two outs and Brett Gardner due up.
Twins 2, Yankees 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 7 2:40 PM
- Andruw Jones doubled to left scored Alex Rodriguez. Runners on second and third with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Twins 2, Yankees 2 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 7 2:36 PM
- Jason Kubel doubled to right scored Jim Thome. Runner on second with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
Twins 2, Yankees 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 7 2:22 PM
- Jim Thome doubled to center scored Justin Morneau. Runner on second with none out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Twins 1, Yankees 1 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 7 2:17 PM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly out to right scored Brett Gardner. None on with two outs and Mark Teixeira due up.
Twins 0, Yankees 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 7 2:09 PM
- Denard Span lined out to center. None on with one out and Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Apr 7 1:13 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22