Colon pitches into seventh as Yanks down Blue JaysApr 21, 2011 - 6:15 AM
Colon (1-1), making his first regular season start since July 24, 2009, allowed five hits and two runs while walking a pair of batters. The portly right-hander, who missed a good portion of that season due to left knee inflammation and didn't pitch during the 2010 regular season, moved to 9-3 lifetime against the Blue Jays.
Colon is getting a shot in the rotation with Phil Hughes on the 15-day disabled list. On Wednesday, he threw 89 pitches, 56 for strikes.
"Colon located his fastball really well. It was tough getting anything going against him," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said.
Rodriguez, who missed the previous two games due to a sore left side, started at third base and hit cleanup. His sacrifice fly scored Nick Swisher in the fifth inning.
Mark Teixeira doubled three times and scored once for New York, which split this two-game series. Curtis Granderson had an RBI triple in the second inning and belted a solo homer in the ninth.
Brett Cecil (1-2) allowed six hits and five runs over five innings as the Blue Jays lost for the eighth time in 11 contests. J.P. Arencibia homered in defeat.
The Yankees loaded the bases with one out in the opening inning on walks to Rodriguez and Swisher and a double by Teixeira. Robinson Cano's groundout to first made it 1-0.
Russell Martin singled ahead of Granderson's triple to the right field corner in the second. Granderson then scored on Derek Jeter's groundout.
Arencibia homered to left-center leading off the bottom of the second, but the Yankees tacked on two runs in the fifth for a 5-1 cushion. They put runners on second and third thanks to an infield single from Swisher and a double by Teixeira. Then came sacrifice flies from Rodriguez and Cano.
The Blue Jays got an RBI single from Jayson Nix in the bottom of the seventh, but could have had more runs if not for a base-running blunder. Edwin Encarnacion doubled with one out and Arencibia walked. Travis Snider then singled to right. Encarnacion stopped at third, but Arencibia kept going, putting two runners at third. Arencibia was out on the play, and then Nix doubled off David Robinson for a 5-2 contest.
Granderson led off the ninth by blasting a Frank Francisco offering over the right field wall.
Lance Pendleton started on the mound in the bottom of the ninth, but the Blue Jays put runners on second and third. Rafael Soriano then walked Nix, but John McDonald fouled out and Yunel Escobar flied out to center to end the game. Soriano picked up his first save of the year.
Cano has an 11-game hitting streak...The Yankees are the only major league team yet to lose two games in a row this season...Rodriguez has 1,841 career RBI. He needs three RBI to tie Carl Yastrzemski (1,844) for 10th place on baseball's all-time list...New York went 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position.
- NEW YORK: 6
Apr 20 10:08 PM
- Curtis Granderson lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 6, Blue Jays 2 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 20 9:43 PM
- Octavio Dotel starts the inning for the Blue Jays.
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 2 Top 8, 0 OutsApr 20 9:22 PM
- Robinson Cano sacrifice fly out to left scored Mark Teixeira. None on with two outs and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 20 8:24 PM
- Alex Rodriguez sacrifice fly out to center scored Nick Swisher. Runner on third with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 1 OutApr 20 8:23 PM
- J.P. Arencibia lead-off Home Run (3) to left center. Travis Snider due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 20 7:38 PM
- Derek Jeter grounded out short to first scored Curtis Granderson. None on with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsApr 20 7:34 PM
- Curtis Granderson tripled to right scored Russell Martin. Runner on third with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 1 OutApr 20 7:33 PM
- Robinson Cano grounded out to first scored Nick Swisher. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 20 7:16 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 20 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21