Arencibia helps Jays down YanksMay 24, 2011 - 5:34 AM
Jose Bautista clubbed his major-league leading 19th homer of the season, while Aaron Hill added an RBI single and scored twice for Toronto, which has won nine of its last 12.
Carlos Villanueva (2-0), making a spot start in place of Jesse Litsch, who was put on the disabled list with an impingement in his right shoulder, worked five solid innings. Starting his first game since October 3, 2009, the right- hander gave up only one run on two hits, struck out five and walked one.
Robinson Cano went 1-for-3 with three RBI for the Yankees, who had won five of six coming into the contest.
Bartolo Colon (2-3), who turns 38 on Tuesday, had a rough outing, giving up seven hits and six runs with four walks over six innings. He struck out eight.
Despite taking the loss, Colon is still 9-4 lifetime versus the Blue Jays.
"He wasn't quite as sharp as we've seen him," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said about Colon. "He kept us in the game, but we were having trouble scoring off of Villanueva."
Bautista gave Toronto the early edge with a solo shot over the left-center field wall with two outs in the first. The Blue Jays were bidding for more after the next two batters singled, but Colon retired Hill to prevent further damage.
The Yankees stranded a runner on second in the third, then pulled even in the fourth. Curtis Granderson walked to lead off the inning and went to third on Mark Teixeira's base hit. After Alex Rodriguez struck out, Cano's sacrifice fly to center tied the game.
However, Toronto scored five in the sixth, sending nine men to the plate. With the bases loaded and one away, Hill singled through the left side to chase in one and Eric Thames followed with a walk to force in another. Arencibia then stepped in and laced a three-run double to center to make it 6-1.
"I was able to hit it in the gap and it happened to land in there safely and score those runs," Arencibia said.
Cano brought in a run in the home half on a fielder's choice ground ball, but Arencibia's run-scoring single in the eighth put Toronto ahead 7-2.
Cano got the run back in the bottom portion with an RBI base hit.
Frank Francisco came on for the ninth and gave up a leadoff single to Brett Gardner, who stole second and made it to third on a groundout. Francisco retired the next three hitters to end the game.
The clubs have split six matchups this season...Jeter went 0-for-5 and is still 25 hits shy of 3,000 for his career...New York went 2-for-15 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight, while Toronto left five men on base...Rodriguez and Gardner each had a pair of hits, while Granderson scored three times for the Yankees.
- TORONTO: 7
NEW YORK: 3
May 23 10:10 PM
- Robinson Cano singled to right scored Curtis Granderson. On the play, Alex Rodriguez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Blue Jays 7, Yankees 3 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 23 9:51 PM
- J.P. Arencibia singled to left scored Aaron Hill. Runner on first with two outs and John McDonald due up.
Blue Jays 7, Yankees 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 23 9:36 PM
- Robinson Cano reached on a fielder's choice to short. On the play, Alex Rodriguez advances to second and Yunel Escobar's fielding error on a force attempt scored Curtis Granderson. Runners on first and second with one out and Russell Martin due up.
Blue Jays 6, Yankees 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 23 9:10 PM
- J.P. Arencibia doubled to center scored Juan Rivera, Aaron Hill and Eric Thames. Runner on second with one out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Blue Jays 6, Yankees 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 23 8:53 PM
- Eric Thames walk scored Jose Bautista on the play. Bases loaded with one out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Blue Jays 3, Yankees 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 23 8:51 PM
- Aaron Hill singled to left scored Corey Patterson. On the play, Juan Rivera advances to second and Jose Bautista advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Eric Thames due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 1 Top 6, 1 OutMay 23 8:50 PM
- Robinson Cano sacrifice fly out to center scored Curtis Granderson. Runner on first with two outs and Russell Martin due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 23 8:20 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, solo Home Run (19) to left center. Yunel Escobar due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 23 7:13 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21