Teixeira powers Yankees past AngelsJun 5, 2011 - 11:46 PM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Teixeira smashed a two-run homer and added a solo shot to power the New York Yankees to a 5-3 win over Los Angeles in the rubber match of a three-game series at Angel Stadium.
Nick Swisher also homered for the Yankees, who finished their road trip with a 6-3 record. New York starter Bartolo Colon (4-3) gave up three runs on six hits in 5 1/3 innings to earn the win.
Mark Trumbo belted a solo home run for Los Angeles, which has dropped four of its last five games. Joel Pineiro (2-3) absorbed the loss after yielding four runs, nine hits and three walks over 6 2/3 innings.
The Yankees struck first in the second inning, as Brett Gardner plated Robinson Cano with a two-out double down the first-base line. Gardner's hit was the beginning of a trend for New York, which produced all its runs on Sunday with two outs.
Down 2-0 in the third after Teixeira cleared the right-field wall, the Angels tied the game in the bottom of the frame. Trumbo put the home team on the board with a leadoff home run to center. Hank Conger then doubled and eventually came around to score on a Maicer Izturis sacrifice fly.
Teixeira followed a walk to Curtis Granderson by depositing a Pineiro offering in the seats in right, putting New York on top, 4-2, in the fifth.
"I'm just trying to be aggressive. When I see a pitch I can drive, I try not to miss it," Teixeira said.
Taking a page from the Yankees, the Angles got a run back with a two-out rally in their half of the fifth. Izturis kept the inning alive with a double and scored on a single by Erick Aybar.
Los Angeles loaded the bases in the sixth, but New York reliever David Robertson struck out Izturis to preserve the one-run lead.
"We couldn't get that one key hit," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia.
Swisher crushed a pitch from Kevin Jepsen off the right-field foul pole to make it 5-3 in the eighth.
The Angels put men on the corners in the ninth, but Mariano Rivera induced a game-ending double play grounder by Torii Hunter to notch his 16th save of the season.
Colon won the 2005 AL Cy Young after going 21-8 with the Angels...Pineiro remains stuck on 99 career wins...Teixeira leads the Yankees with 18 home runs this year.
- NEW YORK: 5
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jun 5 6:57 PM
- Nick Swisher two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Jorge Posada due up.
Yankees 5, Angels 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 5 6:24 PM
- Bobby Abreu walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Torii Hunter due up.
Yankees 4, Angels 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 5 5:11 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (18) to right scored Curtis Granderson. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 4, Angels 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 5 4:59 PM
- Maicer Izturis sacrifice fly to right scored Hank Conger with one out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Yankees 2, Angels 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 5 4:24 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (11) to center. Hank Conger due up.
Yankees 2, Angels 1 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 5 4:19 PM
- Alex Rodriguez walked. Runner on first with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 2, Angels 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 5 4:16 PM
- Brett Gardner double to right scored Robinson Cano with two out. Runner on second and Francisco Cervelli due up.
Yankees 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 5 4:01 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 3:36 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21