Red Sox sweep Yankees, againJun 10, 2011 - 7:30 AM
David Ortiz scored the first run of the seventh and capped it with a two-run double, as Boston improved to 8-1 in the season series against its American League East rival.
Josh Beckett (5-2) continued his strong start to the season by allowing just two runs -- on Curtis Granderson's homer in the first -- over seven innings. He gave four hits and two walks and improved to 3-0 against New York this year.
CC Sabathia (7-4) was charged with six runs on eight hits and two walks in 6 2/3 frames for the Yankees, who had won six of seven entering the three-game series.
"It's not how you wanted it to end tonight, it did and you've got to move on," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said.
Derek Jeter was hit by a pitch in the Yankees' initial at-bat, the first of three batters hit by Beckett. Granderson followed with a homer into the second-deck in right, but that was all the hosts mustered off Beckett.
The Red Sox struggled at the plate with just two hits in the first six innings before solving Sabathia in the seventh.
Ortiz, who was plunked in the fourth frame, started off the rally with a single and lumbered around the bases when Nick Swisher misplayed Jed Lowrie's hit down the right-field line.
Lowrie was credited with a triple and scored the tying run on Mike Cameron's two-bagger to left. Three of the next four hitters singled, with Jacoby Ellsbury and Adrian Gonzalez each knocking in a run.
David Robertson relieved Sabathia following Gonzalez's hit and yielded an RBI base hit to Kevin Youkilis and Ortiz's two-run double to center.
Gonzalez tacked on another run-scoring double in the ninth, and Jeter's RBI groundout in the bottom half did little to take away from the Red Sox's sixth straight win overall.
"We played some good baseball," Cameron said. "Tonight was a story of Beckett keeping us in the game and coming up with some big hits."
The Red Sox swept a three-game set at Yankee Stadium from May 13-15...Beckett had not allowed a home run in seven straight starts coming in...Sabathia had a four-start winning streak snapped...Jeter went 1-for-3 to move within 10 hits of 3,000 for his career...Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia had his knee examined on Thursday and the prognosis was a bruised kneecap. He is expected to play when the Sox open a three-game series in Toronto on Friday...The Yankees continue their 10-game homestand with four meetings against the Indians from Friday to Monday.
- BOSTON: 8
NEW YORK: 3
Jun 10 1:43 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez double to right center scored Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on second and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 8, Yankees 2 Top 9, 1 OutJun 10 1:27 AM
- David Ortiz doubled to center scoring Adrian Gonzalez and Kevin Youkilis with two out. Runner on second and Jed Lowrie due up.
Red Sox 7, Yankees 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 10 12:52 AM
- Kevin Youkilis singled to left scoring Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 5, Yankees 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 10 12:51 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to center scoring Jason Varitek with two out. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runners on first and third and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 4, Yankees 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 10 12:47 AM
- Jacoby Ellsbury singled to right scoring Mike Cameron with one out. On the play, Jason Varitek advances to second. Runners on first and second and Marco Scutaro due up.
Red Sox 3, Yankees 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 10 12:42 AM
- Mike Cameron doubled to left scoring Jed Lowrie with one out. Runner on second and Jason Varitek due up.
Red Sox 2, Yankees 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 10 12:36 AM
- Jed Lowrie tripled to right scoring David Ortiz with none out. Runner on third and Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 2 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 10 12:33 AM
- Mark Teixeira grounded out pitcher to first. None on with one out and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Red Sox 0, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 9 10:48 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 9 10:33 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21