Jimenez, Giambi help Rockies down YankeesJun 25, 2011 - 4:48 AM
Jimenez (3-7) yielded four hits, walked four and gave up a pair of runs to win back-to-back starts for the first time this season.
"I was able to throw my breaking ball for a strike," Jimenez said. "You could see every time they got up to the plate they were swinging right away, they were looking for the fastball. I was able to throw the slider, the curve, the splitter, change-up, everything for a strike. That helped me a lot. It was like I was pitching backwards."
Troy Tulowitzki also went deep off A.J. Burnett, helping the Rockies to their seventh triumph in nine games.
Burnett (7-6) surrendered seven hits and four runs over 6 1/3 innings. He also walked five and fanned just as many, but lost for the third time in his last four starts.
Alex Rodriguez knocked in both runs for the Yankees, who lost for just the third time in their last 10 games.
Nick Swisher singled to right off closer Huston Street with one out in the ninth. Jorge Posada then flied out to left and Russell Martin was retired on a lazy fly to center to end the game, giving Street his major league-leading 23rd save of the year.
Burnett tied a major-league record and set a Yankee mark by fanning four batters in the sixth inning. That was made possible when Chris Nelson fanned, but reached first on a wild pitch. Burnett then struck out Todd Helton to end the inning, but the Yankees were down by two at the point and didn't get a runner past first over the final four innings.
"I was pretty inconsistent all night," Burnett admitted.
Rodriguez smashed a double down the left-field line to score Curtis Granderson in the opening inning, but Giambi jumped on a 2-0 pitch and homered to right- center with one out in the second to tie the game.
"He looks really good, looks like he's in great shape," Rodriguez said of Giambi. "I'm happy to see him do good, just not against us."
It was the first career homer for Giambi at the current Yankee Stadium after hitting 95 at the original one. Seven of his eight homers this season have come on the road.
"There's an incredible energy playing in this stadium," Giambi said.
Helton singled to right with the bases full the next inning to plate Chris Iannetta before Rodriguez tied the game in the bottom half with a sacrifice fly.
Burnett struggled with his command in the fourth, walking Giambi and allowing a double to Seth Smith. He induced an RBI groundout off the bat of Ty Wigginton, a ball that was barehanded by Rodriguez before the out at first. Nelson grounded into a force play, leaving the bases loaded, but not before Colorado claimed the 3-2 lead.
Tulowitzki then homered to right with one out in the fifth, his 14th round- tripper of the season.
Burnett accomplished the four-strikeout inning for the second time in his career, also doing so July 5, 2002 when he pitched for Florida against the New York Mets. He's the second pitcher in baseball history to accomplish the feat on more than one occasion, joining Chuck Finley, who did it three times...Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano went 0-for-4 and saw his 11-game hitting streak snapped...The Rockies have now won four straight against the Yankees...Tulowitzki is hitting .429 (6-for-14) in four career games vs. the Yankees.
- COLORADO: 4
NEW YORK: 2
Jun 24 10:09 PM
- Eduardo Nunez singled to left. Runner on first with none out and Brett Gardner due up.
Rockies 4, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 24 8:43 PM
- Charlie Blackmon lined out to second. Runner on third with two outs and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 3, Yankees 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 24 8:14 PM
- Robinson Cano struck out swinging to end the inning.
Rockies 2, Yankees 2 End 3Jun 24 8:07 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki grounded into a double play, third to second to first On the play, Todd Helton out at second to end the inning.
Rockies 2, Yankees 1 Mid 3Jun 24 7:56 PM
- Jason Giambi one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Seth Smith due up.
Rockies 1, Yankees 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 24 7:30 PM
- Alex Rodriguez doubled to left scoring Curtis Granderson. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Rockies 0, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 24 7:25 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 24 7:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21