Sabathia reaches 10 wins as Yankees handle RockiesJun 25, 2011 - 11:13 PM
Sabathia (10-4) gave up just one run on seven hits with a walk and nine strikeouts over eight innings.
"Guys like to play behind guys who work quick and CC does that," said New York manager Joe Girardi. "Everything was working for him today and his stuff was as good as I've seen it all year."
Mark Teixeira hit a two-run home run, Jorge Posada went 3-for-4 with an RBI while Curtis Granderson went 2-for-5 with two runs score and an RBI for the Yankees, who had dropped their previous two.
Ty Wigginton hit a two-run home run while Seth Smith drove in the other run for the Rockies, who have dropped two of their last three. Aaron Cook (0-3) was tagged for six runs -- five earned -- on 12 hits over 5 2/3 innings to remain winless in four starts this season.
"It's really frustrating cause I've been feeling really good out there," said Cook. "I've worked hard to put myself in a good spot and I'm just not getting the results right now. I just need to go back to the drawing board and figure out what I need to do to fix this."
The Yanks wasted no time in grabbing the lead as Brett Gardner led off the home first with a bunt single, stole second, then came home on an RBI single from Granderson. After Teixeira grounded out, Rodriguez brought home Granderson with a single to right for a 2-0 lead.
The third inning saw New York plate three more runs. Granderson led off with a single and Teixeira followed with a double. Rodriguez brought both of them home with a double. After Robinson Cano grounded out, Nick Swisher brought home Rodriguez with a sac fly for a 5-0 lead.
The Yankees made it a 6-0 game in the sixth when Swisher led off with a double and Jorge Posada followed with a two-bagger.
Sabathia, meanwhile, was cruising through his start as he didn't allow a Rockie to reach second base through the first four innings.
Ryan Spilborghs led off the fifth with a double and moved to third on a Chris Nelson groundout. But Sabathia got Matt Pagnozzi to fly out to shallow center and induced a groundout from Carlos Gonzalez to end the frame.
Colorado finally got on the board in the eighth with an RBI single from Smith, but the Yanks answered in the bottom of the frame on a two-run home run from Teixeira, his 22nd of the season.
Wigginton hit a two-run home run in the ninth to account for the final score.
Sabathia has won his past three starts. He improved to 2-1 over six career starts against the Rockies...The Yankees went 5-for-14 with runners in scoring position...This is the first series between these two clubs since 2007 when the Rockies took a three-game sweep in Colorado...Sunday's rubber match will see Ivan Nova pitch for the Yankees while Juan Nicasio will toe the mound for Colorado.
- COLORADO: 3
NEW YORK: 8
Jun 25 4:08 PM
- Ty Wigginton none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Jason Giambi. Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Rockies 3, Yankees 8 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 25 4:02 PM
- Mark Teixeira two-out, two-run Home Run (22) to right scored Brett Gardner. Ramiro Pena due up.
Rockies 1, Yankees 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 25 3:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Seth Smith singled to right scoring Matt Pagnozzi with two out. Runner on first and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 1, Yankees 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 25 3:42 PM
- Jorge Posada doubled to center scoring Nick Swisher with none out. Runner on second and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Rockies 0, Yankees 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsJun 25 3:00 PM
- Nick Swisher sacrifice fly to left scored Alex Rodriguez with two out. None on and Jorge Posada due up.
Rockies 0, Yankees 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 25 2:11 PM
- Alex Rodriguez doubled to right scoring Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira with none out. Runner on second and Robinson Cano due up.
Rockies 0, Yankees 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 25 2:05 PM
- Alex Rodriguez singled to right scoring Curtis Granderson with one out. Runner on first and Robinson Cano due up.
Rockies 0, Yankees 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 25 1:27 PM
- Curtis Granderson singled to right scoring Brett Gardner with none out. On the play, Granderson advances to second on Eric Young Jr.'s fielding error. Runner on second and Mark Teixeira due up.
Rockies 0, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 25 1:21 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 1:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21