Yankees slip past RockiesJun 27, 2011 - 12:39 AM
Once they figured the rookie right-hander out, the floodgates opened.
Nick Swisher and Jorge Posada homered off Nicasio in a three-run fifth inning that tied the game, and New York went on to beat Colorado, 6-4, in the finale of a three-game set.
Alex Rodriguez added an RBI single and Eduardo Nunez knocked in the eventual game-winner with a base hit in the seventh for the Yankees, who have won six of their last eight.
Boone Logan (2-2) got three outs in the seventh to earn the win in a game started by Ivan Nova, while Mark Teixeira homered in the eighth for New York's last run.
Mariano Rivera struck out three in a perfect ninth for his 20th save.
"It was a total team effort," Swisher said. "A great start by Nova. He gave up a couple runs but kept us in the game. You really can tip your hat to the bullpen. They really did a nice job. And obviously going into the ninth, you got to feel good about your chances."
Ty Wigginton hit two solo homers for the Rockies, who have dropped three of four. Chris Iannetta also had a solo blast while Matt Belisle (5-3) took the loss in relief of Nicasio.
The final line for the 24-year-old Rockies starter wasn't impressive: four runs, four hits, a walk and two strikeouts over five-plus innings. But he sure sparkled before hitting a wall.
Nicasio retired the first 13 Yankees hitters on five groundouts, three fly balls, two strikeouts, two line drives and a pop-up before Robinson Cano laced a fastball into left field for a single with one out in the fifth.
Swisher then knocked his ninth home run over the right field wall and Posada followed with a solo shot, his eighth, to tie the game at 3-3. Wigginton's second homer of the season gave Colorado back the lead in the sixth, but the Yankees knocked Nicasio out of the game in the bottom of the inning and tied the score.
"I've been feeling good at the plate right now," Wigginton said. "I think I've done a good job with staying with my approach."
Belisle came in after Brett Gardner singled and Curtis Granderson walked. He got an out, but Rodriguez singled to bring home a run and tie the score at 4-4.
Nunez singled in the seventh, scoring pinch runner Chris Dickerson to give the Yankees a 5-4 lead and chase Belisle for Matt Reynolds.
Seeking his fourth straight win, Nova worked six innings for New York and gave up Colorado's first four runs, including homers to Wigginton in the second and Iannetta in the fifth.
Nicasio is 2-1 in six starts since being called up last month...The Yankees continue their interleague schedule against Milwaukee starting Tuesday, while the Rockies will make up a game against the Cubs on Monday before starting a series with the White Sox.
- COLORADO: 4
NEW YORK: 6
Jun 26 5:33 PM
- Mark Teixeira lead-off Home Run (23) to left. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Rockies 4, Yankees 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 26 5:17 PM
- Brett Gardner flied out to right. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Rockies 4, Yankees 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 26 4:57 PM
- Alex Rodriguez singled to left scored Brett Gardner with one out. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to second. Runners on first and second and Robinson Cano due up.
Rockies 4, Yankees 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 26 4:18 PM
- Ty Wigginton two-out, solo Home Run 2 (12) to left. Charlie Blackmon due up.
Rockies 4, Yankees 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 26 4:02 PM
- Jorge Posada one-out, solo Home Run (8) to center. Russell Martin due up.
Rockies 3, Yankees 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 26 3:52 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Robinson Cano. Jorge Posada due up.
Rockies 3, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 26 3:50 PM
- Todd Helton sacrifice fly to center scored Carlos Gonzalez with two outs. None on and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 3, Yankees 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 26 3:42 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez stole second. Runner on second with none out and Jonathan Herrera at the plate.
Rockies 2, Yankees 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 26 3:36 PM
- Ty Wigginton one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Charlie Blackmon due up.
Rockies 1, Yankees 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 26 2:41 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 26 2:21 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21