Morrow shuts down YankeesJul 16, 2011 - 4:43 AM
Morrow (6-4) scattered four hits while fanning six and walking only a pair to win his fourth straight decision.
Yunel Escobar went 3-for-4 with a pair of RBI, while Eric Thames smacked a pair of doubles. Edwin Encarnacion, who filled in for the injured Jose Bautista at third base, added an RBI double for the Blue Jays, who extended their winning streak to five games.
Eduardo Nunez knocked in the only Yankee run with a single. Nick Swisher added two hits for the Yankees.
Freddy Garcia (7-7) worked five innings in defeat, giving up six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits while striking out five and walking four.
"It just seemed like he was up a little bit with his offspeed stuff tonight," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We've been talking about situations and how to get people out, that's what you have to do."
Bautista hurt his right ankle in Thursday's 16-7 win when he caught a spike in the turf while sliding into third base. He could return to the lineup on Sunday for the series finale.
Toronto took the lead for good in the fourth. Travis Snider laced a one-out double down the line in right and was chased home on Encarnacion's double to for a 2-1 advantage. The Jays added another run on an RBI single by Jose Molina for a 3-1 lead.
"We played a very clean game tonight," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "We executed well from the mound, continued to make quality pitches, right through the end. It was a very solid team effort."
The Blue Jays broke the game open in the fifth, plating three runs. Thames led off the inning by ripping a double to center. Escobar and Adam Lind walked to load the bases with no outs. Aaron Hill grounded into a fielder's choice to score Thames, while Escobar advanced to third. Hill then stole second to give the Jays men on second and third with one out. Snider followed with a sacrifice fly to left to score Escobar for a 5-1 advantage. Toronto plated its sixth run of the game on an arrant throw by Yankees catcher Russell Martin on a double-steal by the Blue Jays, which allowed Hill to trot home.
The Blue Jays tacked on another run in the eighth on an RBI single by Escobar.
New York put together three hits against Jason Frasor in the ninth, but he worked out of trouble.
Toronto opened the scoring in its first at-bat, plating a run on an RBI single by Escobar.
New York rallied to tie the game in the second when Jorge Posada scored on a Nunez base hit to left.
The Yankees own a 35-28 mark against right-handed starters...Toronto is 16-20 against the AL East, while the Yankees are 15-15 within their own division...Encarnacion hit his 20th double of the season...Thames was removed from the game in the sixth inning with cramping in his left leg...Frasor made his 452nd appearance as a member of the Blue Jays, tying Duane Ward for first on the team all-time list for pitchers.
- NEW YORK: 1
Jul 15 10:10 PM
- Yunel Escobar singled to right scoring Rajai Davis. On the play, Mike McCoy advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adam Lind due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 7 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 15 9:50 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion stole second. Aaron Hill stole third. On the play, Russell Martin's throwing error scored Aaron Hill. Runner on second with two outs and Corey Patterson at the plate.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 15 8:58 PM
- Travis Snider sacrifice fly out to left scored Yunel Escobar. Runner on second with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 15 8:54 PM
- Aaron Hill grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Eric Thames. Adam Lind out at second. Yunel Escobar advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Travis Snider due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 15 8:49 PM
- Jose Molina singled to center scoring Edwin Encarnacion. On the play, Molina advances to second on Curtis Granderson's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Rajai Davis due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 15 8:29 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion doubled to center scoring Travis Snider. Runner on second with one out and Corey Patterson due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 15 8:24 PM
- Eduardo Nunez singled to left scoring Jorge Posada. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 15 7:39 PM
- Adam Lind flied out to right. On the play, Yunel Escobar advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Aaron Hill due up.
Yankees 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 15 7:26 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 15 7:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21