Ellsbury, Beckett lead Red Sox over YankeesSep 1, 2011 - 5:31 AM
Ellsbury blasted the go-ahead two-run homer in the sixth inning, and the Red Sox also got long balls from Jason Varitek and David Ortiz in a 9-5 victory over New York to remain atop the division.
Beckett (12-5) gave up four runs in the top of the sixth, but managed to stay unbeaten this season against the Yankees. The right-hander, who had eight strikeouts over seven innings, is 4-0 this season against rival New York. He's the first Red Sox pitcher to win four games vs. the Yankees in a single season since Al Nipper in 1987.
"All spring, whether it's been a chip on his shoulder or something to prove, he's certainly done that, and then some," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said of Beckett.
Varitek tied the game with an RBI double in the sixth inning, as Boston bounced back from a 5-2 loss Tuesday and moved 1 1/2 games ahead of New York. The Red Sox have won six of their last eight games overall and moved to 11-3 this season vs. the Yankees.
Ortiz expanded his season-high hitting streak to 14 games. He's batting .509 (27-for-53) during the stretch with seven homers and 16 RBI.
Phil Hughes (4-5) was charged with eight hits and six runs, as New York had its three-game winning streak snapped.
The Red Sox send 14-game winner Jon Lester to the mound for the finale of this three-game series Thursday night. The Yankees will go with A.J. Burnett, who is 1-5 over his last 10 appearances.
Josh Reddick walked with one out in the sixth. Varitek then reached for a low offering and cued a ball over third base and on the chalk, down the left field line. It nearly bounced into the stands, but caromed by left fielder Brett Gardner to the corner, allowing Reddick to come home.
Boone Logan relieved Hughes with two outs, but Ellsbury homered over the Green Monster to boost Boston to a 7-5 lead.
"He just got behind him and Ellsbury has been a dangerous hitter all year," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "He got a 3-1 pitch he liked and hit it out of the ballpark. He's hit a lot of homer runs this year."
Reddick led off the eighth with a ground-rule double to left and Varitek then slammed a first offering into the bullpen in right-center.
New York's offense was nonexistent in the final three innings. In fact, the final 12 hitters were retired in order, with Daniel Bard and Jonathan Papelbon each tossing a frame.
"I think when it comes down to making pitches I think that's what always what separates good seasons from mediocre seasons or mediocre seasons from bad seasons," Beckett said. "You're making pitches when you need to."
Ellsbury failed to make a sliding catch on Derek Jeter's sinking line drive single into center field in the third inning. The hit scored Eduardo Nunez.
Dustin Pedroia had an RBI groundout and Jed Lowrie a run-scoring single in the bottom half, and Ortiz homered to center in the fifth for a 4-1 margin.
Beckett had allowed four runs in his first 32 innings this year against the Yankees before giving up four in the sixth. Robinson Cano's double plated Mark Teixeira, who was hit by a pitch to lead off. After Nick Swisher walked, Eric Chavez doubled to right field with the ball taking an odd carom by Reddick, allowing both runners to score. A sacrifice fly by Nunez to center gave the Yankees the 5-4 edge.
Red Sox outfielder J.D. Drew, who is on the disabled list with a left shoulder impingement, suffered a mild setback in his rehab Tuesday night by spraining his right, middle finger while playing for Triple-A Pawtucket...Boston has gone deep in each of its last eight games...Hughes is 2-5 lifetime vs. Boston, while Beckett is 14-7 vs. the Yankees...New York third baseman Alex Rodriguez sat out again with a thumb injury...After the game, the Red Sox acquired first baseman/outfielder Conor Jackson and cash from Oakland in exchange for pitcher Jason Rice.
- NEW YORK: 5
Aug 31 10:28 PM
- Jason Varitek none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right center scored Josh Reddick. Marco Scutaro due up.
Yankees 5, Red Sox 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 31 10:17 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury two-out, two-run Home Run (24) to left center scored Jason Varitek. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Yankees 5, Red Sox 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 31 9:40 PM
- Jason Varitek double to left scored Josh Reddick with one out. Runner on second with one out and Marco Scutaro due up.
Yankees 5, Red Sox 5 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 31 9:33 PM
- Eduardo Nunez sacrifice fly to center scored Eric Chavez with one out. None on with one out and Francisco Cervelli due up.
Yankees 5, Red Sox 4 Top 6, 1 OutAug 31 9:19 PM
- Eric Chavez double to right scored Robinson Cano and Nick Swisher with none out. On the play Eric Chavez advances to third on Josh Reddick fielding error. Runner on third with none out and Eduardo Nunez due up.
Yankees 4, Red Sox 4 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 31 9:18 PM
- Nick Swisher walked. Runners on first and second with none out and Eric Chavez due up.
Yankees 2, Red Sox 4 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 31 9:15 PM
- David Ortiz two-out, two-run Home Run (28) to center scored Adrian Gonzalez. Jed Lowrie due up.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 31 9:02 PM
- Jed Lowrie single to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury with two out. On the play, David Ortiz advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 31 8:20 PM
- Dustin Pedroia groundout to third scored Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on second with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 31 8:16 PM
- Derek Jeter stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Curtis Granderson at the plate.
Yankees 1, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 31 8:02 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 31 7:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21