Jeter leads Yanks in sweep of JaysSep 4, 2011 - 11:15 PM
Nick Swisher added a two-run shot and Alex Rodriguez hit a solo blast for the Yankees, who swept the series and have won seven of eight overall. New York moved 1 1/2 games ahead of Boston in the AL East after the Red Sox lost to Texas later Sunday.
"You always aim to win the division, and that was our goal at the beginning of the season, even before thinking about the World Series," Sabathia admitted.
Sabathia (19-7) won his third straight decision by allowing six hits and two runs over 7 1/3 innings, fanning 10 with one walk.
"You don't when he's like that," said acting Jays manager Don Wakamatsu when asked if any team can win when Sabathia pitches well. "He takes you so deep into ballgames that you have to say the hitters need to do a better job, but I don't know how you do that."
Mark Teahen finished with a pair of hits and drove in a run and Jose Bautista posted a solo homer for the Blue Jays, who have lost eight of 11.
Brett Cecil (4-8) was charged in defeat for five hits and five runs -- four earned -- over six full frames.
Toronto picked up two in the fourth on Teahen's RBI double and a ground out by Jose Molina, but Rodriguez added a solo homer to right in the sixth for a 5-2 New York advantage.
Bautista deposited a Rafael Soriano pitch deep into the left-field bleachers for his 40th homer of the year with one down in the eighth to cut the Jays' deficit to 5-3, but Robinson Cano singled with one out in the home half and Swisher hit the second deck in right for a 7-3 contest.
Jeter added a two-run single later in the frame and Cory Wade turned in a scoreless ninth to lock up the victory.
The Yanks picked up a run in the first when Brett Gardner led off with a walk, stole second and scored on Mark Teixeira's infield single to third when Mike McCoy threw wild to first.
In the third, Miguel Montero's leadoff hit was followed by Gardner's plunking, and Jeter followed with a three-run shot to left and a 4-0 lead.
"This is the fun part of the season," Jeter said. "It can get long, but it's September now people spend a lot more time paying attention to the races, who's in first and second."
The Yankees have won 10 of the 15 meetings with the Blue Jays this season, with one more series to play, in Toronto, from September 16-18...It marked the fifth time in 2011 that Sabathia fanned at least 10 batters, and the second start in a row as the lefty struck out 10 in Boston on August 30...Bautista joined Carlos Delgado (1999-2000) as the lone Jays to hit 40 home runs in back-to-back seasons.
- TORONTO: 3
NEW YORK: 9
Sep 4 4:02 PM
- Derek Jeter single to center scored Russell Martin and Eduardo Nunez with two outs. On the play, Brett Gardner advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Teixeira due up.
Blue Jays 3, Yankees 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 4 3:51 PM
- Nick Swisher one-out, two-run Home Run (22) to right scored Robinson Cano. Andruw Jones due up.
Blue Jays 3, Yankees 7 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 4 3:42 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion singled to left. Runner on first with one out and Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 3, Yankees 5 Top 8, 1 OutSep 4 3:29 PM
- Robinson Cano grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Nick Swisher due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 5 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 4 2:51 PM
- J.P. Arencibia grounded out third to first. Runner on second with two outs and DeWayne Wise due up.
Blue Jays 2, Yankees 4 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 4 2:17 PM
- Mark Teahen double to left scored Edwin Encarnacion with none out. On the play, Brett Lawrie advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jose Molina due up.
Blue Jays 1, Yankees 4 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 4 2:15 PM
- Derek Jeter none-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored Jesus Montero and Brett Gardner. Mark Teixeira due up.
Blue Jays 0, Yankees 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 4 2:05 PM
- Mark Teixeira infield single to short. On the play, Brett Gardner scored on Mike McCoy's throwing error with one out. Runner on first and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Blue Jays 0, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 4 1:29 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 4 1:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21