Gonzalez leads Red Sox over Angels in extrasApr 22, 2011 - 6:44 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Adrian Gonzalez sparked a two-run 11th with an RBI double, as the Red Sox snuck past the Angels, 4-2, in the opener of a four-game series.
Jacoby Ellsbury drove in two runs for Boston, which has won two in a row and five of six overall. Jed Lowrie had an RBI.
Josh Beckett, who took a no-hitter into the sixth, gave up two runs on three hits over eight innings. Bobby Jenks (1-1) tossed a scoreless 10th to pick up his first win in a Boston uniform.
"Josh pitched like he was supposed to," Boston manager Terry Francona said. "He was in command of his pitches."
Torii Hunter hit a two-run homer for Los Angeles, which had won two straight. Tyler Chatwood allowed two runs on six hits over a six-inning start.
Rich Thompson (0-1), who tossed a perfect 10th, stayed on to pitch the 11th for Los Angeles.
J.D. Drew walked and Dustin Pedroia singled to begin the frame, and Gonzalez followed with an RBI double down the right field line for a 3-2 lead. Marco Scutaro reached first on a fielder's choice, but Gonzalez was tagged out between second and third.
Darnell McDonald also reached first on a fielder's choice, and Pedroia was caught in a rundown this time. He seemed to go out of the basepath to get back to third, but was called safe. Lowrie's sacrifice fly scored Pedroia for a two-run cushion, and Jason Bulger struck out Carl Crawford to end the inning.
Jonathan Papelbon worked around a one-out bunt single in the home 11th to record his fourth save.
Boston scored twice in the sixth to break a scoreless tie. David Ortiz walked and Lowrie singled to begin the frame, and both moved up a base on a sacrifice bunt. After Jason Varitek went down swinging, Ellsbury hit a bloop single to right to plate Ortiz and Lowrie.
Beckett's no-hitter was broken up in the home sixth, when Erick Aybar reached base on a grounder to the pitcher. But Beckett retired the next three batters to keep the Red Sox in front.
The Angels' second hit of the game came in the seventh, and it tied the game. Bobby Abreu led off with a walk and crossed the plate on Hunter's homer over the wall in center.
The Red Sox loaded the bases against Fernando Rodney in the eighth. With one out, Crawford walked, Varitek was hit by a pitch and Ellsbury walked. However, Drew struck out and Pedroia popped out to keep it a tie game.
Aybar led off the bottom of the eighth with a double down the right field line, but was thrown out while trying to stretch the hit into a triple. Beckett retired the next two batters to end the frame.
"Chatwood was right around the zone. He pitched out of trouble," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "We didn't get it done offensively."
The Angels dropped nine of their 10 meetings with the Red Sox last season... Boston third baseman Kevin Youkilis left in the bottom of the second inning after fouling a ball off his left shin in the first...LA started a seven-game homestand on Thursday...Angels third baseman Maicer Izturis had a six-game hit streak snapped...Boston activated pitcher Matt Albers from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Alfredo Aceves to Triple-A Pawtucket...The Red Sox went 2-for-18 with runners in scoring position and left 15 men on base.
- BOSTON: 4
LOS ANGELES: 2
Apr 22 1:58 AM
- Jed Lowrie's sacrifice fly to center scored Dustin Pedroia. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 4, Angels 2 Top 11, 2 OutsApr 22 1:39 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to right scoring J.D. Drew. Runners on second and third with none out and Marco Scutaro due up.
Red Sox 3, Angels 2 Top 11, 0 OutsApr 22 1:31 AM
- Torii Hunter none-out, two-run Home Run (4) to center scored Bobby Abreu. Vernon Wells is due up.
Red Sox 2, Angels 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 22 12:19 AM
- Jacoby Ellsbury singled to right scoring David Ortiz and Jed Lowrie. Runner on first with two outs and J.D. Drew due up.
Red Sox 2, Angels 0 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 21 11:46 PM
- BOSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21