Matsuzaka 1-hits Angels through 8, Red Sox winApr 24, 2011 - 4:34 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Daisuke Matsuzaka threw eight innings of one- hit ball and the Boston Red Sox took a 5-0 win over the LA Angels of Anaheim in the third of a four-game set.
Matsuzaka (2-2) walked three and struck out nine while Daniel Bard worked around a leadoff single in the ninth to complete the shutout for the Red Sox, who have won four straight and seven of eight.
"He threw strikes, changed speeds and that was fun to watch," said Boston manager Terry Francona. "He's given up only two hits in a bunch of innings and I hope he can build off this."
Kevin Youkilis hit a two-run home run while Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Jason Varitek each drove in a run in the win.
Ervin Santana (0-3) was touched for five runs on nine hits with a walk and nine strikeouts over seven innings for the Angels, who came into this series having won seven of eight.
"He was in the zone tonight and we worked the count the best we could, but he was always one step ahead," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia about Matsuzaka.
Boston scored the only run it needed in the second when Jed Lowrie hit a one- out double and later scored on a Crawford single for a 1-0 lead.
The third saw Jacoby Ellsbury leadoff with a single, steal second and come home on a Gonzalez basehit for 2-0 lead.
It was a 4-0 game after five innings when Youkilis deposited a pitch over the right field wall.
Varitek's RBI double to right in the sixth plated Crawford for a 5-0 lead.
Meanwhile, Matsuzaka was masterful in the contest. He never chased a no-hitter as Alberto Callaspo hit in infield single in the second that was deflected by Matsuzaka.
He set down the Angels in order in five of the eight innings he pitched and struck out the side in the fifth.
Bard allowed an infield single to Erick Aybar in the ninth, but struck out Bobby Abreu and Torii Hunter then forced a groundout by Vernon Wells to end the game.
Matsuzka 3-1 against the Angels in four career starts...Boston has won 12 of the last 13 games against the Angels...Boston dropped its first six games of the season, but is 9-5 since...Santana fell to 2-3 over nine starts against the Red Sox.
- BOSTON: 5
LOS ANGELES: 0
Apr 23 11:43 PM
- Jason Varitek double to right scored Carl Crawford with two out. Runner on second and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 5, Angels 0 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 23 10:45 PM
- Kevin Youkilis two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury. David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 4, Angels 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 23 10:31 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. Runner on first and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 2, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutApr 23 9:53 PM
- Jason Varitek struck out swinging to end the inning.
Red Sox 1, Angels 0 Mid 2Apr 23 9:34 PM
- BOSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 9:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21