Red Sox hand Weaver his first lossMay 3, 2011 - 5:06 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - David Ortiz hit a two-run homer to cap a six- run seventh inning, as Boston denied Jered Weaver a piece of history and subdued the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, 9-5, in the first of a four-game set from Fenway Park.
Weaver (6-1) was bidding to become the first pitcher since 1891 to win seven games by May 2. But the Sox led 3-2 after six, and when he was taken out in favor of Hisanori Takahashi, it all fell apart for the Halos.
"He can throw you any pitch in any situation, that's why he's doing so good," said Ortiz.
Adrian Gonzalez drove in three runs, while Kevin Youkilis and Dustin Pedroia knocked in two runs each for the Red Sox, who had dropped two of three to Seattle over the weekend.
Clay Buchholz (2-3) worked 6 2/3 innings, allowing eight hits and two runs for the win, as Boston improved to 5-0 against their southern California foes in 2011.
Vernon Wells hit a two-run shot and Bobby Abreu drove in a pair for the Angels, who had lost four in a row at home to the Sox in late April.
Jason Varitek got the deciding rally going with a one-out single, then Jacoby Ellsbury doubled. Francisco Rodriguez got the call but walked Pedroia, then gave up a bases-clearing double to Gonzalez and an RBI two-bagger from Youkilis. Ortiz followed with a two-run blast and it was 9-2 for the Sox.
Wells hit a two-run shot over the Green Monster in the eighth and Maicer Izturis knocked in Jeff Mathis in the ninth, but Hideko Okajima retired the next two batters to end the game.
Youkilis singled home Ellsbury in the home first, and Abreu knocked in Izturis with a base hit in the third.
Abreu's fielder's choice RBI in the top of the fifth put the Angels ahead, but with runners on second and third in the home half, Pedroia worked Weaver for a 13-pitch at-bat until he singled in both players to give Boston a 3-2 edge.
"A big battle there," said Weaver. "Always seems to be some little thing in Boston that doesn't seem to go my way."
Sadie McMahon of the Baltimore Orioles was 9-0 in 1891 heading into May 2 of that year...Weaver also sported an ERA of 0.99 in April, becoming the sixth pitcher in MLB lore to go 6-0 with an ERA below 1.00 in the first full month of the season...It was the 14th loss in 15 tries for LA against Boston...There was a large flag draped over the 37-foot Monster for the national anthem, in recognition of America's capture and killing of Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden late Sunday.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
May 2 10:42 PM
- Maicer Izturis doubled to left center scoring Jeff Mathis. Runner on second with one out and Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 5, Red Sox 9 Top 9, 1 OutMay 2 10:37 PM
- Vernon Wells two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Howie Kendrick. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 4, Red Sox 9 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 2 10:17 PM
- J.D. Drew flied out to center. None on with two outs and Jed Lowrie due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 2 10:03 PM
- Kevin Youkilis doubled to left scoring Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on second with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 7 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 2 9:59 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to center scoring Jason Varitek, Jacoby Ellsbury and Dustin Pedroia. Runner on second with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 2 9:59 PM
- Dustin Pedroia singled to center scoring Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on first with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 2 9:14 PM
- Bobby Abreu grounded into a fielder's choice off pitcher to second to short scoring Erick Aybar. Runners on first and third with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 2 8:45 PM
- Bobby Abreu singled to right scoring Maicer Izturis. Runner on first with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 1, Red Sox 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 2 8:07 PM
- Kevin Youkilis singled to left scoring Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on second with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Angels 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 2 7:34 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 7:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21