Boston stays hot with win over TorontoJun 11, 2011 - 6:20 AM
Buchholz (5-3) gave up just three hits for the Red Sox, who have won seven in a row. He also struck out six and walked two.
"I think (Buchholz) was crisp and he looked good," said Boston manager Terry Francona.
Adrian Gonzalez went 2-for-4 with two RBI for Boston, which was fresh off a three-game sweep of the Yankees. Jacoby Ellsbury went 3-for-5 with three runs scored.
Toronto starter Jo-Jo Reyes (2-5) allowed four runs on eight hits over 6 1/3 innings to see his two-start winning streak come to an end.
Juan Rivera knocked in the lone run for the Blue Jays, who started a six-game homestand on Friday.
"(Buchholz) was getting his curveball over for strikes early in the count, getting ahead with that," said Toronto shortstop Mike McCoy.
The Red Sox got on the board in the third. Jarrod Saltalamacchia led off with a single, moved to third on Ellsbury's ground-rule double to left and scored on Dustin Pedroia's base hit to shallow left field. Gonzalez grounded into a double play to plate another run.
Buchholz retired the first eight batters he faced before Jayson Nix reached first on Jed Lowrie's fielding error. Nix stole second prior to McCoy being struck out to end the third inning.
The Blue Jays finally got on the board in the fourth. With runners on second and third and one out, Rivera hit a sacrifice fly to center.
Boston created some distance with a two-run fifth. Ellsbury singled and Pedroia walked with one out before Gonzalez and Kevin Youkilis hit consecutive RBI singles to make it a 4-1 game.
Toronto left men on first and second in the sixth and stranded men on the corners in the seventh.
Gonzalez's RBI double in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
Boston leads the season series, 4-3...The Red Sox recalled pitcher Michael Bowden from Triple-A Pawtucket and optioned catcher Luis Exposito to the same club...Buchholz improved to 7-3 lifetime against the Blue Jays...Toronto was without shortstop Yunel Escobar (bruised left quadriceps)...Pedroia returned to the lineup after missing Thursday's game with a bruised right kneecap...Toronto went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven.
- BOSTON: 5
Jun 10 10:11 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez ground-rule double to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 1 Top 9, 1 OutJun 10 9:54 PM
- Kevin Youkilis single to left scored Dustin Pedroia. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 1 OutJun 10 8:28 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to center scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 1 OutJun 10 8:27 PM
- Juan Rivera sacrifice fly to center scored Corey Patterson. On the play, Jose Bautista advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 10 8:16 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Jacoby Ellsbury. Dustin Pedroia out at second. None on with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 10 7:49 PM
- Dustin Pedroia infield single to short scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 10 7:49 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 10 7:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21