Red Sox rout Blue Jays, sweep seriesJun 13, 2011 - 12:26 AM
Kevin Youkilis added a two-run homer and finished with four RBI, while Dustin Pedroia hit a two-run blast for the Red Sox, who extended their season-high winning streak to nine games. Adrian Gonzalez clubbed a solo shot and drove in a pair.
Boston, which took a 16-4 decision on Saturday, pounded out 17 hits in the victory and outscored the Blue Jays 35-6 in the series.
Lester (9-2) was sensational, allowing only two hits and one run -- a homer to Jose Bautista. The left-hander, who struck out eight and walked one, has now won five of his last six starts.
"He was good today. He threw strikes, he stayed in his delivery, didn't overthrow and didn't walk anybody until the last inning. That was really exciting to see," Red Sox manager Terry Francona said about Lester.
Edwin Encarnacion had the other hit for Toronto, which has dropped four in a row.
Kyle Drabek (4-5) was raked for eight runs on seven hits and four walks over four-plus innings. He finished with five strikeouts, but allowed three home runs.
Gonzalez hit a towering homer over the right-center field wall in the first. It was the ninth straight game he has knocked in at least one run.
Boston tacked on two more in the third, as Marco Scutaro and Jacoby Ellsbury walked to start the inning. Pedroia then struck out, but a wild pitched moved both runners into scoring position before Gonzalez chased in Scutaro with a groundout to second. Youkilis followed with an RBI single through the left side to make it a 3-0 game.
Meanwhile, Lester retired the first 11 batters, but Bautista broke the string in the fourth with a shot that hit the top of the fence in straight away center and bounced over for his 21st home run of the season.
"I'm seriously not making the season to be about myself and home runs. I'm trying to win games and we didn't get it done today," said Bautista.
However, the Red Sox responded with six in the fifth, sending 10 men to the plate. Ellsbury led off with a base hit and came home on Pedroia's homer to left. After Gonzalez doubled and Youkilis drew a walk, Ortiz jumped on a fastball and crushed it over the wall in right for an 8-1 lead and end Drabek's outing.
Luis Perez entered and served up consecutive singles to the first two batters, leaving runners on the corners. Then two batters later, Scutaro brought in another with a base hit up the middle.
RBI doubles by Youkilis, Ortiz and Jarrod Saltalamacchia in the sixth stretched the Red Sox lead to 12-1.
Youkilis then belted a two-run homer to left in the eighth.
Lester retired 11 of the last 12 hitters faced before Michael Bowden took over in the ninth and set the Blue Jays down in order to finish off the rout.
Dating back to 2009, the Red Sox have dominated the series with Toronto by winning 30 of the 45 matchups...Boston improved to 20-13 on the road this season...The Red Sox went 7-for-19 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base. Toronto went 0-for-2 with RISP and stranded two.
- BOSTON: 14
Jun 12 4:01 PM
- Kevin Youkilis two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury. David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 14, Blue Jays 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 12 3:53 PM
- J.D. Drew struck out swinging to end the inning.
Red Sox 12, Blue Jays 1 Mid 6Jun 12 2:57 PM
- Shawn Camp enters the game for the Blue Jays with a runner on second and one out.
Red Sox 11, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 12 2:52 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored Carl Crawford. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 9, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 1 OutJun 12 2:29 PM
- David Ortiz none-out, three-run Home Run (17) to right scored Adrian Gonzalez and Kevin Youkilis. Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 12 2:19 PM
- Dustin Pedroia none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 5, Blue Jays 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 12 2:15 PM
- Jose Bautista two-out, solo Home Run (21) to center. Adam Lind due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 12 2:09 PM
- David Ortiz grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 0 Mid 3Jun 12 1:50 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez ground out second to first scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 12 1:46 PM
- David Ortiz struck out swinging to end the inning.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 0 Mid 1Jun 12 1:17 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 1:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21