Thome paces Twins past Red SoxAug 11, 2011 - 4:09 AM
Thome wound up knocking in a total of two runs, while Danny Valencia and Tsuyoshi Nishioka also drove in a run each during the deciding frame for the Twins, who snapped a six-game losing skid as well as a five-game slide at home.
Glen Perkins (4-2) picked up the win in 1 1/3 innings of relief. Joe Nathan turned in a scoreless ninth to earn his ninth save of the season, and his 255th career save moved him ahead of Rick Aguilera into first place in Minnesota history.
"It's an accomplishment to hold off this line-up now," said Twins starter Blackburn, who allowed six hits and one unearned run over 6 2/3 innings. "We've been playing a lot of good ball, and for me to control things the way I did tonight is a really good sign."
David Ortiz homered and Marco Scutaro added an RBI hit for the Red Sox, whose four-game win streak came to a halt.
Jon Lester (11-6) was charged in defeat for eight hits and four runs with five walks over 7 1/3 frames.
Lester issued a leadoff walk to Joe Mauer to start the eighth, then Michael Cuddyer grounded out. Thome followed by ripping a ball to left which plated Mauer with the lead run.
"In the the first inning, I just didn't get into a good rhythm, but from the second inning on, I felt like I threw the ball good. It was one of those grinders out there tonight and I came out on the wrong end," Lester admitted.
Alfredo Aceves entered but promptly served up an RBI double from Valencia, which scored Thome's pinch-runner Jason Repko. An intentional walk and single loaded the bases and Nishioka's base hit brought in another run to make it 5-2.
Andrew Miller walked Denard Span but prevented further damage by fanning Ben Revere swinging.
Nathan retired the side in order to lock down the victory.
Minnesota scratched out a run in the bottom of the first, as Mauer walked with two outs, moved to third on a Cuddyer single and scored on Thome's base hit.
The Twins went up 2-0 in the sixth after Revere walked with one out and Mauer doubled him home.
Boston finally countered in the seventh against Blackburn as Scutaro drove in Mike Aviles courtesy of a two-out single, then Ortiz launched a pitch into the center field bullpen with one down in the eighth to tie the score.
Thome remains stuck on 598 career home runs...Boston took five of seven from Minnesota in the season series and has topped the Twins in 16 of the last 25 meetings since 2008...Ortiz, who played for the Twins through the 2002 season, is now hitting .333 (54 for 162) with 12 homers against his former club, and upped his mark to 9-for-19 (.474) at Target Field...Twins manager Ron Gardenhire announced prior to the game that first baseman Justin Morneau will be activated from the disabled list on Friday when the team arrives in Cleveland. Morneau has been out since June 9 after having neck surgery.
- BOSTON: 2
Aug 10 11:20 PM
- Tsuyoshi Nishioka single to center scored Danny Valencia. On the play, Matt Tolbert advances to third and Delmon Young thrown out at home. Runners on second and third with two outs and Denard Span due up.
Red Sox 2, Twins 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 11:05 PM
- Danny Valencia double to left scored Jason Repko. Runner on second with one out and Delmon Young due up.
Red Sox 2, Twins 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 10 10:58 PM
- Jim Thome double to left scored Joe Mauer. Runner on second with one out and Danny Valencia due up.
Red Sox 2, Twins 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 10 10:51 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, solo Home Run (23) to center. Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 2, Twins 2 Top 8, 1 OutAug 10 10:33 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to left scored Mike Aviles. On the play, Jacoby Ellsbury advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 1, Twins 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 10 10:09 PM
- Joe Mauer ground-rule double to left scored Ben Revere. Runner on second with one out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Red Sox 0, Twins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 10 9:56 PM
- Jim Thome single to center scored Joe Mauer. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Danny Valencia due up.
Red Sox 0, Twins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 10 8:30 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 8:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21