Blue Jays outslug Red Sox, 11-10Sep 8, 2011 - 5:31 AM
The Red Sox led 8-6 entering the frame and starter Tim Wakefield was in line for his 200th career win, but Daniel Bard (2-6) walked home two runs before Encarnacion ripped a 3-2 fastball from Matt Albers into the gap in right- center.
"I think the most underlying thing is our approach late in the game," Blue Jays manager John Farrell said. "We continue to grind out at-bats."
Adrian Gonzalez's homer and Marco Scutaro's RBI single in the top of the ninth made it a one-run game, but pinch-runner Mike Aviles was caught stealing with two outs, securing a win for Shawn Camp (4-3) and a save for Frank Francisco, his 13th of the season.
Jacoby Ellsbury hit a three-run homer for the Red Sox, who have lost five of seven and trail the AL East-leading Yankees by 2 1/2 games.
Wakefield allowed five runs -- four earned -- over five innings but was in line for the win courtesy of Boston's early offense and Jays starter Brandon Morrow's equally ineffective turn.
The Red Sox pushed across three first-inning runs, as Morrow hit Kevin Youkilis with the bases loaded before Scutaro delivered a two-run single.
But Wakefield, who has been stuck on win No. 199 since a July 24th victory over the Mariners, failed to maintain the early advantage.
Eric Thames scored on an Encarnacion sac fly in the bottom of the first and J. P. Arencibia tied the game with a two-run blast in the second.
Thames was hit to begin the home third, advanced on a wild pitch and scored on Jose Bautista's ground-rule double to left. Later in the frame, Bautista swiped third, then came home on a double steal, as Scutaro's return throw to the plate sailed wide, giving the Jays a 5-3 lead.
A four-run fourth, highlighted by Ellsbury's three-run blast, vaulted the Red Sox atop the see saw. Josh Reddick followed a Carl Crawford double with a two- bagger of his own to push across the inning's initial run.
David Ortiz gave the Red Sox an 8-5 lead with a solo shot in the fifth, but the Blue Jays refused to go quietly.
Encarnacion ripped an RBI single off of Dan Wheeler with two outs in the seventh. Bard grounded out Kelly Johnson to end the inning, but ran into trouble in the eighth.
He hit Brett Lawrie leading off, allowed a single to Adam Loewen and walked Arencibia to load the bases with nobody down. Appearing to settle, he put down Dewayne Wise on three pitches, got Yunel Escobar looking on a 3-2 fastball and went ahead 0-2 on Thames before unraveling. Thames fought back to draw a walk and a free pass to Bautista tied the game. Encarnacion then worked the count full on Albers before clearing the bases with his 34th double of the season.
"I fully believed bases-loaded no outs, I could get out of it," Bard said. "I never doubted it. I got two strikeouts, executed pitches when I needed to. Got to 0-2 the next guy and he had a really good at-bat."
Wakefield is 0-3 in seven starts since defeating the Mariners on July 24. He is looking to become the 108th pitcher in major league history to reach 200 wins...Ellsbury extended his hit streak to 12 games...Morrow allowed eight runs on eight hits over 4 1/3 innings...Loewen was recalled from Triple-A Las Vegas on Tuesday. He pitched in parts of three seasons with the Orioles before suffering a stress fracture in his left elbow in 2008. He signed a minor league contract with the Blue Jays the same year in an effort to resurrect his career as a position player. His single in the eighth was the first of his major league career...On Wednesday, the Blue Jays transferred center fielder Rajai Davis from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.
- BOSTON: 10
Sep 7 10:39 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored David Ortiz with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Red Sox 10, Blue Jays 11 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 7 10:37 PM
- David Ortiz singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 9, Blue Jays 11 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 7 10:33 PM
- Kelly Johnson struck out swinging to end the inning.
Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 11 End 8Sep 7 10:27 PM
- Jose Bautista walk scored Adam Loewen with two out. Bases loaded with two outs and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 7 10:20 PM
- Eric Thames walk scored Brett Lawrie with two out. Bases loaded with two outs and Jose Bautista due up.
Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 7 10:16 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion single to left scored Yunel Escobar with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 7 9:47 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, solo Home Run (29) to right. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Red Sox 8, Blue Jays 5 Top 5, 1 OutSep 7 8:35 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury two-out, three-run Home Run (25) to right center scored Marco Scutaro and Josh Reddick. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 7, Blue Jays 5 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 7 8:22 PM
- Josh Reddick double to left scored Carl Crawford with one out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Red Sox 4, Blue Jays 5 Top 4, 1 OutSep 7 8:18 PM
- Jose Bautista stole home with two out. Brett Lawrie stole second and advances to third on Marco Scutaro throwing error. Runner on third with two outs and Adam Loewen at the plate.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 7 8:10 PM
- Jose Bautista ground-rule double to left scored Eric Thames with none out. Runner on second with none out and Edwin Encarnacion due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsSep 7 7:59 PM
- J.P. Arencibia one-out, two-run Home Run (21) to center scored Brett Lawrie. Mike McCoy due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 3 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 7 7:47 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion sacrifice fly to right scored Eric Thames with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Kelly Johnson due up.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 7 7:31 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Kevin Youkilis was thrown out at third to end the inning.
Red Sox 3, Blue Jays 0 Mid 1Sep 7 7:22 PM
- Kevin Youkilis hit-by-pitch scored Jacoby Ellsbury with one out. Bases loaded with one out and Carl Crawford due up.
Red Sox 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 1 OutSep 7 7:17 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 7 7:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21