Wakefield gets 200th win as Red Sox crush JaysSep 14, 2011 - 4:41 AM
Wakefield pitched six innings and the Red Sox got a pair of homers and five RBI from Dustin Pedroia, as they blew out Toronto, 18-6, at Fenway Park.
Winless in his previous eight appearances, Wakefield (7-6) earned his first victory since July 24 against Seattle. The 45-year-old right-hander, who had lost his previous three decisions, yielded six hits and five runs while fanning six batters.
After the game was over Wakefield, who is the active MLB leader in wins, was given a standing ovation following his 428th start in a Red Sox uniform. He was also doused with champagne after an on-field interview.
"I'm just glad it's over with. It's been a long road, but it's definitely been worth the wait," Wakefield said.
Jacoby Ellsbury and Pedroia each had four hits, scored four times and combined for eight RBI. They hit consecutive homers in the fourth inning to give Boston the lead for good.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia drove in four of Boston's season-high run total. The Red Sox, who totaled 18 hits, snapped a five-game skid and moved four games clear of Tampa Bay for the lead in the American League wild card standings. The Rays, who lost at Baltimore Tuesday night, come to Boston for a four-game series this weekend.
Brandon Morrow (9-11) surrendered seven hits and seven runs -- five earned -- over 5 1/3 innings to drop his fourth straight decision.
Jose Bautista clubbed his major league-leading 42nd homer and J.P. Arencibia tacked on a three-run shot for the Blue Jays, winners in four of their previous five games.
Ellsbury and Pedroia both homered with two outs in the fourth inning. The solo shots over the Green Monster moved the Sox to a 6-5 edge.
Wakefield escaped a jam with a pair of runners in scoring position in the fifth, and Boston widened the gap to 10-5 in the sixth.
Saltalamacchia's single to left plated Carl Crawford. After Ellsbury singled, Pedroia smacked a first offering from Luis Perez over the high wall in left.
Marco Scutaro recorded his 1,000th career hit in the seventh when his double to left scored Crawford.
The Red Sox made it a rout in a seven-run eighth by sending 11 men to the plate, highlighted by Saltalamacchia's three-run double. Ellsbury walked to begin in the inning and capped the outburst with an RBI single.
Boston got a gift two runs in the first inning in the opener of this two-game series. With the bases loaded Josh Reddick hit a ball in the hole on the right side. First baseman David Cooper's high throw to Morrow covering went off the pitcher's glove, allowing two runs to come home.
Arencibia's 23rd homer of the year gave Toronto the lead in the second, but Ellsbury's RBI double and Pedroia's sacrifice fly made it 4-3 going to the third.
Bautista homered to left with Eric Thames on base in the third to briefly put Toronto back on top.
Wakefield moved to 19-14 lifetime against the Blue Jays in his 45th start against the club, second most all-time after Roger Clemens (49) and Mike Mussina (44)...Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis, who had missed the previous three games with a left hip injury, went 0-for-3...Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz was pulled from the game before he made his first at-bat due to back spasms...The Red Sox are 10-7 against Toronto and clinched the season series for a third straight year...Ellsbury has a 17-game hit streak...Chad Beck and Danny Farquhar each made their major league debut in relief for Toronto.
- TORONTO: 6
Sep 13 10:20 PM
- David Cooper double to center scored Eric Thames. On the play, Edwin Encarnacion advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Brett Lawrie due up.
Blue Jays 6, Red Sox 18 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 13 10:19 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to center scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Runner on first with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 18 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 13 10:03 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia double to center scored Mike Aviles, Carl Crawford and Jose Iglesias. Runner on second with two outs and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 17 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 13 10:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Conor Jackson sacrifice fly to left scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on first with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 13 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 13 9:50 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to center scored Jacoby Ellsbury. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Jed Lowrie due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 12 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 13 9:46 PM
- Mike Aviles replaces Kevin Youkilis playing third base, batting 5th.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 11 Top 8, 0 OutsSep 13 9:32 PM
- Dustin Pedroia one-out, three-run Home Run 2 (20) to left scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jacoby Ellsbury. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 10 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 13 9:07 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia single to left scored Carl Crawford. Runner on first with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 7 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 13 9:05 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 6 End 4Sep 13 8:35 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury two-out, solo Home Run (27) to left. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 13 8:31 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion walked. Runner on first with none out and David Cooper due up.
Blue Jays 5, Red Sox 4 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 13 8:04 PM
- Dustin Pedroia sacrifice fly to left scored Jacoby Ellsbury. None on with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Blue Jays 3, Red Sox 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 13 7:53 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury double to left scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on second with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Blue Jays 3, Red Sox 3 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 13 7:51 PM
- J.P. Arencibia none-out, three-run Home Run (23) to left scored David Cooper and Brett Lawrie. Adam Loewen due up.
Blue Jays 3, Red Sox 2 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 13 7:36 PM
- Josh Reddick reached first on David Cooper's throwing error scored Dustin Pedroia and Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Kevin Youkilis advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Blue Jays 0, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 13 7:33 PM
- TORONTO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 13 7:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21