Dodgers take another from GiantsApr 2, 2011 - 5:49 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Rafael Furcal's RBI single capped a three- run bottom of the sixth inning, as the Dodgers took advantage of an error on Jonathan Sanchez and rallied for a 4-3 win over the San Francisco Giants.
One night after Los Angeles took the opener, 2-1, the Dodgers took advantage of more sloppy play from the defending World Series champions. The Giants had a pair of errors in the sixth inning after making three miscues on Thursday.
Rookie Brandon Belt hit his first major league homer, a three-run shot in the fourth inning.
Belt's homer came off Dodgers starter Chad Billingsley (1-0), who allowed five hits over six innings.
"Everything went very well, except for one pitch I made a mistake on a 2-0 pitch and he (Belt) hit it out," Billingsley said.
Sanchez (0-1) gave up seven hits and four runs -- two earned -- in 5 2/3 frames.
Matt Kemp singled to center to start the bottom of the sixth and later scored on a sacrifice fly from James Loney. Rod Barajas singled and Aaron Miles reached base safely on an error. Third baseman Pablo Sandoval charged the ball and made the bare-handed play, but the throw to first was wide. That put two runners in scoring position.
Pinch-hitter Hector Gimenez then hit a ball to the left of the mound, but Sanchez let the ball get by him, scoring Barajas. Guillermo Mota entered from the bullpen, but Furcal singled to right field to score Miles with the go- ahead run.
The Giants loaded the bases the following inning, but Blake Hawksworth fanned Buster Posey to end the threat.
Matt Guerrier pitched the eighth inning and Jonathan Broxton tossed the ninth for his second save.
Kemp's ground-rule double in the third plated Billingsley, who walked.
The Giants went ahead 3-1 on Belt's towering blast over the wall in center field the following inning. The hit scored Buster Posey and Sandoval, who both singled.
"He's great, I know he's going to do a lot of things well," Sandoval said of Belt. "He's a big kid and if he keeps hitting the ball like that it's going to be fun for the team."
The Giants left eight men on base...Billingsley has posted a 5-1 mark against the Giants at home since 2008...Earlier Friday, Giants second baseman Freddy Sanchez agreed to a contract extension with the club through the 2012 season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 2 1:04 AM
- Rafael Furcal single to right scored Aaron Miles with two out. Runners on first and second and Ivan DeJesus due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 2 12:14 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Hector Gimenez safe at first on Jonathan Sanchez's fielding error scoring Rod Barajas with two out. Runners on first and third and Rafael Furcal due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 2 12:12 AM
- Rod Barajas singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Aaron Miles due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsApr 2 12:02 AM
- Brandon Belt one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to center scored Buster Posey and Pablo Sandoval. Miguel Tejada due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 1 11:22 PM
- Matt Kemp ground-rule double to left scored Chad Billingsley with two out. Runners on second and third and Marcus Thames due up.
Giants 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 1 11:06 PM
- Andres Torres bunt single to first. Runner on first with none out and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Apr 1 10:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22