Cain, Giants stifle Dodgers in 10-0 winApr 3, 2011 - 12:22 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Freddy Sanchez had three hits and three RBI to lead a potent Giants offense, which backed a strong start from Matt Cain in a 10-0 rout of the Dodgers.
Sanchez fell a triple short of the cycle while Aubrey Huff went 2-for-4 with three RBI for San Francisco, which had dropped the first two in this four-game set.
But the defending World Series champions totaled 13 hits Saturday to get their first win of the season. They also got a solid effort from Cain (1-0), who allowed only five hits in six innings and struck out three.
"We needed this one," Cain said. "The guys swung the bats well. I threw a lot of strikes. I went out there and threw my game."
Ted Lilly (0-1) took the loss after allowing four runs in 4 2/3 innings.
"He was okay early, but he ran into trouble and couldn't stop the bleeding," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
Miguel Tejada got the Giants on the board in the third with an RBI groundout, and they put together a bigger rally in the fifth.
Aaron Rowand hit a one-out single and moved to second on a balk. After Cain struck out, Tejada brought in Rowand with a single and advanced to second. Sanchez then plated Tejada with a double before scoring on Huff's single to make it a 4-0 game and chase Lilly.
While the Los Angeles left-hander did not give his team the best chance of winning, the Dodgers' bullpen took them out of the game entirely.
Kenley Jansen started the sixth and walked rookie first baseman Brandon Belt, who stole second before scoring on Mark DeRosa's double. Jansen got an out before walking Cain and giving up an infield single to Tejada, loading the bases for the heart of the Giants' order.
Sanchez and Huff delivered with consecutive singles that brought in three total runs and pushed the advantage to 8-0.
Sanchez hit his homer in the eighth and DeRosa added an RBI groundout in the ninth.
Dodgers catcher Hector Gimenez recorded his first career hit...Andre Ethier had three hits to lead LA, which went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base...San Francisco went 7-for-17 with RISP.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 10
LOS ANGELES: 0
Apr 2 7:25 PM
- Mark DeRosa groundout to second scored Andres Torres with one out. Runner on third with one out and Aaron Rowand due up.
Giants 10, Dodgers 0 Top 9, 1 OutApr 2 7:14 PM
- Freddy Sanchez one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left center. Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 9, Dodgers 0 Top 8, 1 OutApr 2 6:55 PM
- Aubrey Huff single to center scored Matt Cain and Miguel Tejada with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 8, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 1 OutApr 2 6:18 PM
- Freddy Sanchez single to right scored Mark DeRosa with one out. Bases loaded with one out and Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 6, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 1 OutApr 2 6:16 PM
- Mark DeRosa double to right scored Brandon Belt with none out. Runner on second with none out and Aaron Rowand due up.
Giants 5, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 0 OutsApr 2 6:07 PM
- Aubrey Huff single to right scored Freddy Sanchez with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 4, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 2 5:34 PM
- Freddy Sanchez double to left scored Miguel Tejada with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 2 5:30 PM
- Miguel Tejada single to left scored Aaron Rowand with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Giants 2, Dodgers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 2 5:29 PM
- Miguel Tejada groundout to first scored Mark DeRosa with two out. Runner on third with two outs and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 2 4:53 PM
- Miguel Tejada grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Apr 2 4:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22