Dodgers take series from rival GiantsApr 4, 2011 - 4:09 AM Los Angeles Dodgers held on for a 7-5 victory over the Giants to take three out of four games in their season-opening series.
Marcus Thames, Aaron Miles, Rafael Furcal and Andre Ethier all had an RBI in a four-run seventh inning that gave the Dodgers the lead for good.
The Giants got one run apiece in the eighth and ninth innings, including Aaron Rowand's pinch-hit homer off Broxton, but the Dodgers reliever escaped trouble for his third save in the set against the defending World Series champions.
Matt Kemp hit a two-run homer in the first inning as the Dodgers jumped out to a 3-0 lead against Barry Zito. Jamey Carroll tripled to knock in the other run, a hit that got past a diving Aubrey Huff in right field.
Huff also misplayed a ball during the LA rally in the seventh inning, twisting and turning on Thames' RBI triple.
Furcal finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored and starter Hiroki Kuroda (1-0) earned the win in seven innings, giving up three runs on six hits with five strikeouts.
"I was able to keep us in the game," said Kuroda. "Some pitches I want back, but I was glad I was able to contribute to the win."
Zito allowed just three runs and three hits -- all in the first inning -- but left after six in a no-decision. He walked two and struck out five.
"Barry made some mistakes in the first, but give him a lot of credit, he kept us in the game," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "It was a loss, but our guys battled."
Dan Runzler (0-1) took the loss after getting just one out in the seventh.
In addition to Rowand, Pablo Sandoval and Pat Burrell also belted solo homers for the Giants. Huff and Freddy Sanchez both had two hits and a run scored.
Sandoval homered to right field in the second inning to get San Francisco within 3-1, and the Giants later tied the game with runs in the sixth and seventh. Buster Posey had an RBI single in the sixth and Burrell homered into the left-field seats leading off the seventh.
James Loney singled against Runzler to lead off the bottom of the seventh and spark the decisive rally. With one out, Huff turned three times as he went back on Thames' ball into deep right field, letting it hit off his glove to score the go-ahead run.
Miles followed with a pinch-hit single, Furcal had an RBI double and Ethier added an RBI single to finish the rally.
"We did what it took to get this series," said Kemp. "A lot of guys got big hits tonight."
Huff doubled in the eighth and scored later when Matt Guerrier walked Brandon Belt with the bases loaded. Rowand led off the ninth with his third career pinch-hit homer and Broxton gave up a one-out single to Sanchez, bringing Huff to the plate with the potential game-tying run.
But Broxton knocked down his grounder up the middle for the second out -- Sanchez moved into scoring position at second base -- and Posey grounded out to end the game.
Both teams had nine hits...Burrell hit his second homer of the season...LA continues its season at Colorado for a two-game series starting Tuesday...The Giants will travel to San Diego for a two-game set also starting Tuesday.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
LOS ANGELES: 7
Apr 3 11:13 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Aaron Rowand lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Andres Torres due up.
Giants 5, Dodgers 7 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 3 11:05 PM
- Brandon Belt walked, scoring Aubrey Huff with two outs. Bases loaded and Miguel Tejada due up.
Giants 4, Dodgers 7 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 3 10:44 PM
- Andre Ethier single to right scored Rafael Furcal with two outs. Runner on first and Matt Kemp due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 3 10:22 PM
- Rafael Furcal double to right scored Aaron Miles with one out. Runner on second and Jamey Carroll due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 3 10:13 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Aaron Miles single to right scored Tony Gwynn Jr. with one out. Runner on first and Rafael Furcal due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 5 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 3 10:10 PM
- Marcus Thames triple to right scored James Loney with one out. Runner on third and Hiroki Kuroda due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 4 Bot 7, 1 OutApr 3 10:07 PM
- Pat Burrell lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 3 Top 7, 0 OutsApr 3 9:50 PM
- Buster Posey single to right scored Freddy Sanchez with two outs. Runners on first and second and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 2, Dodgers 3 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 3 9:32 PM
- Pablo Sandoval lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Pat Burrell due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 3 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 3 8:31 PM
- Matt Kemp one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jamey Carroll. Juan Uribe due up.
Giants 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 1, 1 OutApr 3 8:25 PM
- Jamey Carroll triple to right scored Rafael Furcal with none out. Runner on third and Andre Ethier due up.
Giants 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 3 8:23 PM
- Freddy Sanchez sacrifice bunt to pitcher. Runner on first with one out and Aubrey Huff due up.
Apr 3 8:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22