Marlins score twice in ninth to clip DodgersApr 26, 2011 - 5:01 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Omar Infante lined a two-out, ninth-inning single to left field to hand the Florida Marlins a dramatic 5-4 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Chris Coghlan went 3-for-4 and belted two solo home runs for Florida, which has won six of its last seven games.
Brian Sanches (3-0) picked up the victory in the back-and-forth contest after pitching a scoreless top of the ninth.
Suffering the loss and the blown save was Jonathan Broxton (1-1), who allowed two unearned runs and walked two in the bottom of the ninth. Starter Jon Garland went seven innings, allowing just two runs and four hits in the no- decision.
Jamey Carroll went 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored in the loss. The Dodgers had won four of their previous five entering Monday's game.
Coghlan's first home run came with two outs in the bottom of the third.
Los Angeles wasted little time responding, as Jerry Sands' two-out single up the middle scored Carroll, knotting the game at 1-1.
In the sixth Coghlan belted his second homer of the contest, as his leadoff blast put the Marlins up 2-1.
Again the Dodgers responded in turn. With runners at second and third and one out, Aaron Miles grounded out to second base, scoring Tony Gwynn Jr., before Carroll ripped a Ryan Webb offering up the middle, scoring Ivan De Jesus and giving Los Angeles a 3-2 lead heading into the bottom half of the seventh.
In the eighth, the Dodgers added an insurance run, as James Loney singled home Matt Kemp, though Florida got back within one on Gaby Sanchez's RBI single in the bottom half.
The Marlins completed the comeback in their final at-bat. After a Greg Dobbs strikeout and a John Buck groundout, Emilio Bonifacio worked a walk. Hanley Ramirez, pinch hitting for Donnie Murphy, then ripped a single to right, placing runners on the corners. A fielding error by Carroll allowed Scott Cousins to reach base safely, scoring Bonifacio in the process and sustaining the comeback attempt.
"I just missed it. I didn't follow it into the glove," Carroll said of his costly error.
After Broxton intentionally walked the locked-in Coghlan, Infante drove a 1-0 fastball to left, scoring Ramirez and effectively ending the game.
"That was a great game to win. Two outs nobody on in the ninth ... It was outstanding," Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez said.
Andre Ethier went 1-for-3, extending his major league season-high hitting streak to 22 games...Infante now has two game-winning RBI on the season...Ten different players have recorded game-winning RBI for the Marlins this season...Marlins starter Ricky Nolasco lasted 6 1/3 innings, allowing three runs on seven hits and two walks.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
Apr 25 10:05 PM
- Omar Infante single to left scored Hanley Ramirez with two out to win the game.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 25 10:05 PM
- Jamey Carroll fielding error scored Emilio Bonifacio with two out. Runners on first and third with two outs and Chris Coghlan due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsApr 25 10:01 PM
- Gaby Sanchez single to center scored Chris Coghlan with one out. Runners on first and second with one out and Mike Stanton due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 3 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 25 9:36 PM
- James Loney single to center scored Matt Kemp with one out. Runner on first with one out and Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 2 Top 8, 1 OutApr 25 9:24 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to center scored Ivan DeJesus with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Marlins 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 25 9:05 PM
- Aaron Miles groundout to second scored Tony Gwynn Jr. with two out. Runner on third with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 2 Top 7, 2 OutsApr 25 9:04 PM
- Chris Coghlan lead off Home Run 2 (4) to right. Omar Infante due up.
Dodgers 1, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsApr 25 8:46 PM
- Jerry Sands single to center scored Jamey Carroll with two out. Runner on first with two outs and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 1, Marlins 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 25 8:09 PM
- Chris Coghlan two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Omar Infante due up.
Dodgers 0, Marlins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsApr 25 7:53 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 25 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22