Ross' homer lifts Giants over DodgersMay 19, 2011 - 6:21 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Cody Ross belted a three-run homer in the ninth inning, lifting the Giants to an 8-5 win over the Dodgers in the opener of a two-game series.
Closer Brian Wilson (4-1) worked around a single in the bottom of the ninth inning and got the win despite blowing a save in Los Angeles' three-run eighth.
Ross hooked a 1-1 curveball inside the left field pole against Lance Cormier (0-1) for the go-ahead homer, his third of the season, and the Giants snapped a two-game losing streak.
"We definitely needed this one," said Ross. "He threw me three straight curveballs. You know when you hit it good."
Matt Kemp hit a solo homer for the Dodgers, who have lost four of their last five.
Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw pitched five innings, giving up four runs on seven hits. Matt Cain worked 7 1/3 innings for the Giants, yielding three runs on three hits.
It was a scoreless game until Freddy Sanchez hit an RBI single in the third for San Francisco.
The Giants pushed their lead to 4-0 in the fourth, sparked by four straight singles from Pat Burrell, Ross, Aubrey Huff and Miguel Tejada. Giants third baseman Mark DeRosa was hurt swinging the bat -- the team said it was a strained left wrist -- and pinch-hitter Mike Fontenot walked to score the second run. Aaron Rowand added a sacrifice fly.
The Dodgers didn't get on the board until Kemp led off the fifth inning with his ninth homer of the season. Kershaw was taken out for a pinch-hitter later in the inning with the bases loaded, but LA didn't score again until the seventh when Rod Barajas hit an RBI double to get them within 4-2.
Tejada's RBI single in the eighth pushed San Francisco's lead to 5-2, but Wilson couldn't hold the Dodgers after he was the third Giants hurler to pitch in the eighth.
Juan Uribe greeted him with a line-drive double that scored two runs and James Loney followed with an RBI single to tie the game at 5-5.
"I like the way our guys kept going, but we fell a little bit short," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
The Dodgers are just 2-4 on a seven-game homestand...Even if he didn't get a decision, the Giants are 7-2 with Cain on the hill this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
LOS ANGELES: 5
May 19 1:30 AM
- Cody Ross two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Freddy Sanchez and Nate Schierholtz. Aubrey Huff due up.
Giants 8, Dodgers 5 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 19 1:17 AM
- James Loney single to right scored Juan Uribe. Runner on first with two outs and Jay Gibbons due up.
Giants 5, Dodgers 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 19 12:58 AM
- Miguel Tejada single to left scored Cody Ross. Runner on first with one out and Mike Fontenot due up.
Giants 5, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 1 OutMay 19 12:29 AM
- Rod Barajas double to right scored Jay Gibbons. Runner on second with two outs and Javy Guerra due up.
Giants 4, Dodgers 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 19 12:15 AM
- Matt Kemp lead-off Home Run (9) to center. Juan Uribe due up.
Giants 4, Dodgers 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 18 11:31 PM
- Aaron Rowand sacrifice fly to center scored Aubrey Huff. On the play, Mike Fontenot advances to second Miguel Tejada advances to third on Matt Kemp's throwing error. Runners on second and third with two outs and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Giants 4, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 18 11:16 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Mike Fontenot walk scored Cody Ross. Bases loaded with none out and Matt Cain due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 18 11:11 PM
- Miguel Tejada single to left scored Pat Burrell. On the play, Aubrey Huff advances to second and Cody Ross advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Mark DeRosa due up.
Giants 2, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 18 11:05 PM
- Buster Posey struck out swinging to end the inning.
Giants 1, Dodgers 0 Mid 3May 18 10:51 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
May 18 10:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22