Dobbs leads Marlins past DodgersMay 29, 2011 - 6:01 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Greg Dobbs went 3-for-5 with a pair of RBI and a run scored as the Florida Marlins took a 6-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second of a three-game set.
Wes Helms had a two-run double while Gaby Sanchez added two hits and two runs scored for the Marlins, who have won four of their last five.
Brian Sanches, making the first start of his career in place of an injured Josh Johnson, went three innings and gave up one run on three hits. Edward Mujica (5-2) pitched two scoreless innings to get the win.
"Winning by a score of 6-1 with your bullpen is a good feeling," said Florida manager Edwin Rodriguez. "The defense did their job and it was a good team game overall."
Matt Kemp drove in the lone run for the Dodgers, who have dropped five of their past seven. Hiroki Kuroda (5-5) was handed the loss for giving up five runs on 10 hits over 5 1/3 innings.
"Hiroki had trouble with his fastball tonight," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "On the other side they were giving us lots of looks and we were unable to scratch anything together."
The Marlins wasted no time taking the lead as the team plated two runs in the first. Chris Coghlan led off with a double, moved to third on Hanley Ramirez's groundout and crossed the plate on a sacrifice fly from Logan Morrison. After Sanchez doubled, Dobbs singled him home for a 2-0 lead.
After stranding a man on base in each of the first two innings, the Dodgers got one across in the third. The first two batters reached base, but a pair of outs followed and left runners at the corners. Kemp doubled to score one, but James Loney grounded out to end the inning.
The Marlins got the run back in the fourth as Sanchez led off with a double and came home later in the inning on an Omar Infante single for a 3-1 lead.
Florida continued to add to its lead in the sixth on a two-run, pinch-hit double from Helms and the team tacked on another run in the seventh on an RBI single from Dobbs for a 6-1 lead.
After scoring the run in the third, the Dodgers were unable to get a runner past second base and Steve Cishek worked the ninth to close out the contest.
During the sixth inning, parts of the third deck on the first base side were evacuated due to fire in a storage room. The fire department arrived and play was not delayed...Johnson is on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder inflammation...Kuroda fell to 1-2 over six appearances against the Marlins.
- FLORIDA: 6
LOS ANGELES: 1
May 29 1:28 AM
- Greg Dobbs single to center scored Hanley Ramirez with one out. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 6, Dodgers 1 Top 7, 1 OutMay 29 12:37 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Wes Helms double to right scored Greg Dobbs and Mike Stanton with two out. Runner on second and Chris Coghlan due up.
Marlins 5, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 29 12:15 AM
- Omar Infante single to right scored Gaby Sanchez with two out. Runner on first and Brett Hayes due up.
Marlins 3, Dodgers 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 28 11:27 PM
- Matt Kemp double to left scored Hiroki Kuroda with two out. On the play, Andre Ethier advanced to third. Runners on second and third and James Loney due up.
Marlins 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 28 11:15 PM
- Greg Dobbs single to center scored Gaby Sanchez with two out. Runner on first and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 28 10:24 PM
- Logan Morrison sacrifice fly to left scored Chris Coghlan with two out. None on and Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 28 10:18 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 10:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22