Kemp, Dodgers down RockiesJun 1, 2011 - 5:35 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp hit a two-run homer and drove in a total of four runs, as the Los Angeles Dodgers handled the Colorado Rockies, 8-2, in the second test of a three-game series.
Casey Blake hit a three-run homer and scored twice for the Dodgers, who have won three in a row.
Ted Lilly (4-4) pitched seven solid innings, allowing two runs on four hits to pick up the win. He also struck out a season-high eight batters while improving to 6-2 in nine career matchups with the Rockies.
"I enjoyed watching our offense," Lilly said. "You're starting to see what our offense is made of."
Ty Wigginton hit a solo homer for the Rockies, who lost 7-1 in the opener of this series on Monday and have dropped three straight overall.
Clayton Mortensen (1-3) gave up five runs on five hits while walking four in a four-inning start to suffer the loss. He also had an RBI.
"Tonight was uncharacteristic of Clayton," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "We didn't pitch well enough to win and we didn't hit well enough to win. We got beat tonight."
Kemp got his big night started with a two-run homer to right in the first inning.
The Rockies got on the board in the third. Chris Nelson doubled, stole third and scored on Mortensen's sacrifice fly to make it 2-1.
LA added two more runs in the home third. Jamey Carroll walked, Blake double and Andre Ethier was intentionally walked to load the bases with one out. Kemp then hit a two-run single to left to make it a 4-1 game.
Aaron Miles' RBI double in the fourth gave the Dodgers a four-run cushion.
Wigginton's solo homer to left-center field in the seventh cut the gap to 5-2.
Los Angeles took back control in the bottom half of the frame. Matt Daley put men on first and second with one out. Blake then stepped to the plate and smacked Daley's offering over the wall in left for an 8-2 lead.
Rubby De La Rosa tossed two scoreless innings of relief for the Dodgers, who improved to 4-1 on a six-game homestand...The Rockies went 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position and stranded three.
- COLORADO: 2
LOS ANGELES: 8
Jun 1 12:50 AM
- Casey Blake one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jay Gibbons and Jamey Carroll. Andre Ethier due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 8 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 1 12:18 AM
- Ty Wigginton two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left center. Matt Belisle due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 1 12:04 AM
- Aaron Miles double to right scored Jerry Sands with one out. Runner on second with one out and Ted Lilly due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 5 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 31 11:23 PM
- Matt Kemp single to left scored Jamey Carroll and Casey Blake with one out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and James Loney due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 31 11:09 PM
- Clayton Mortensen sacrifice fly to second scored Chris Nelson with two out. None on with two outs and Eric Young Jr. due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 2 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 31 10:51 PM
- Todd Helton struck out looking. None on with two outs and Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 2 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 31 10:32 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 31 10:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22