Gwynn's diving catch seals win for DodgersJun 12, 2011 - 5:35 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Jamey Carroll and Aaron Miles sparked the offense, posting identical four-hit, two-RBI performances, but it was Tony Gwynn who made a diving catch to secure Los Angeles' 11-7 victory over the Rockies at Coors Field.
The Dodgers entered the eighth with a seemingly comfortable 7-1 lead. But Colorado mounted a furious comeback, scoring five runs in an inning for the third straight game. Los Angeles then countered with a four-spot before the Rockies brought the tying run to the plate in the bottom of the ninth.
With the bases loaded, Charlie Blackmon lined the first pitch he saw from Javy Guerra to left field. Gwynn chased it down and made an unbelievable grab to deny the Rockies' rookie outfielder of extra bases.
"Gwynn is a great defensive outfielder," Miles said. "He saw the win and went for it."
Scott Elbert took the mound for Los Angeles to begin the eighth and Colorado promptly loaded the bases with nobody out. Matt Guerrier replaced an ineffective Elbert and Troy Tulowitzki greeted him with a two-run single through the left side.
One out later, pinch-hitter Seth Smith hit a single to center field that skipped past Matt Kemp. The error resulted in two runs scoring and Smith taking up residence at third base. The Dodgers' lead was then cut to 7-6 with an RBI single by Blackmon.
Colorado reliever Matt Lindstrom failed to keep it a one-run game, allowing three consecutive hits to start the ninth. With men on the corners, Gwynn hit a grounder fielded by Jonathan Herrera. Rod Barajas, who doubled home James Loney, beat the second baseman's throw to the plate for a 9-6 Los Angeles advantage.
Following a sacrifice bunt, Miles was caught in a rundown between third and home. Carroll then drove in a pair with a single to center.
Just as he did in the eighth, Carlos Gonzalez doubled to begin the home half of the ninth. But Eric Young lined into a 1-6 double play. The Rockies kept it interesting by stringing together three straight singles -- the last one by Ty Wigginton -- to produce a run. Guerra then walked pinch-hitter Ryan Spilborghs before Gwynn's stellar defensive play.
"With the spin and the English it had slicing away from him, it would have been very interesting with him diving if that ball gets by," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "But I think obviously with that being said we didn't pitch well tonight. It's that simple."
Casey Blake came off the bench to deliver a pinch-hit, three-run double for the Dodgers, who picked up their first win in this four-game series that concludes on Sunday.
Los Angeles starter Ted Lilly (5-5) gave up a leadoff home run to Wigginton in the second among four hits over five frames.
Jason Hammel (3-6) was charged with three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits for Colorado.
Blake's bases-clearing hit snapped a 1-1 tie in the sixth. Hammel tossed eight consecutive pitches out of the strike zone before leaving with a stiff lower back. Gwynn then bunted for a base hit and Blake lined an offering from Matt Reynolds down the left-field line to put the visitors up 4-1.
The Dodgers extended their lead in the seventh on a two-run double by Miles, who scored on a single by pinch-hitter Marcus Thames.
Kemp hit an RBI double in the fifth to put LA on the board...Colorado suffered its first loss in five home games to the Dodgers this year...Lilly stole his third career base...Hammel has not won since April 30. The Rockies have lost each of his last eight starts...The teams combined for 31 hits, 18 by the Dodgers.
- LOS ANGELES: 11
Jun 11 11:44 PM
- Ty Wigginton singled to center scored Jason Giambi with two out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to second. Runners on first and second with Matt Lindstrom due up.
Dodgers 11, Rockies 7 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 11 11:39 PM
- Jamey Carroll singled to center scored Tony Gwynn Jr. and Dee Gordon with two out. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 11, Rockies 6 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 11 11:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Trent Oeltjen sacrifice bunt to pitcher. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to second and Aaron Miles advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 9, Rockies 6 Top 9, 1 OutJun 11 11:22 PM
- Rod Barajas doubled to left scored James Loney with none out. Runner on second and Aaron Miles due up.
Dodgers 8, Rockies 6 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 11 11:17 PM
- Chris Iannetta reached on a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Charlie Blackmon out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Jonathan Herrera due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 11 11:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Seth Smith singled to center and advances to third on Matt Kemp's fielding error. On the play, Matt Kemp's fielding error scored Jason Giambi and Troy Tulowitzki with one out. Runner on third and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 11 11:04 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to left scored Carlos Gonzalez and Eric Young Jr with none out. On the play, Jason Giambi advances to second. Runners on first and second with Ty Wigginton due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 11 10:59 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Marcus Thames singled to left scored Aaron Miles with two out. Runner on first and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 11 10:33 PM
- Aaron Miles doubled to right scored Matt Kemp and James Loney with one out. Runner on second and Tony Gwynn Jr. due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 1 Top 7, 1 OutJun 11 10:27 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Casey Blake doubled to left scored Rod Barajas, Aaron Miles and Tony Gwynn Jr with none out. On the play, Casey Blake was thrown out at third from left to short to catcher to third. None on and Dee Gordon due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 11 10:02 PM
- Matt Kemp doubled to right scored Andre Ethier with one out. On the play, Matt Kemp tagged out advancing to third from right to short. None on with two outs and James Loney due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 11 9:34 PM
- Chris Nelson doubled to left, deflected by third. Runner on second with none out and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 11 8:36 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 11 8:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22