Dodgers rock Jimenez, outslug RockiesJun 13, 2011 - 1:26 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - James Loney hit a grand slam, Matt Kemp and Rod Barajas belted solo homers and the Dodgers outslugged the Rockies again for a 10-8 win in the finale of a four-game series.
The Dodgers banged out 17 hits after getting 18 in an 11-7 victory on Saturday. They split the series after dropping the first two games and finished 5-5 on a road trip.
"To be able to get these last two was huge for us," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
Rubby De La Rosa (3-0) settled down after giving up a three-run homer to Seth Smith in the first inning, but left with a right forearm injury after throwing one pitch in the sixth.
The rookie right-hander, making his second career start, gave up just three hits and three walks while striking out six.
Loney was one of four Dodgers with three hits, scoring twice, and also made a nice grab on Smith's grounder down the line in the ninth inning to end the game with a runner on base.
Smith, Carlos Gonzalez, Troy Tulowitzki and Todd Helton all homered for the Rockies, but struggling starter Ubaldo Jimenez was unable to keep LA off the basepaths.
Jimenez (1-7) was knocked around for 11 hits in 5 1/3 innings, giving up seven runs -- even though only two of them were earned. He struck out two, walked one and served up three homers.
The Rockies committed three errors, including a costly fielding mistake by third baseman Ty Wigginton in the third inning, which erased their three-run edge.
Wigginton couldn't come up with Jamey Carroll's bouncer, missing a chance to turn a double play after De La Rosa led off with a single. The Dodgers loaded the bases with two outs and Loney deposited his grand slam into the right- field seats for a 4-3 lead.
"It was a pitch up, I just put a pretty good swing on it. Fortunately, it got out," said Loney.
The Dodgers tacked on one more run in the inning -- Barajas had an RBI single -- then Kemp and Barajas hit their homers off Jimenez in the fifth inning for a 7-3 lead.
Colorado manager Jim Tracy was OK with the solo homers given up by Jimenez -- every pitcher does that, he said. What's hurting the Rockies, Tracy said, are sloppy plays that lead to things like Loney's grand slam.
"Those are damaging," he said.
Jimenez left with runners at first and third in the sixth inning and Rex Brothers escaped a bases-loaded jam. But Brothers was charged with both runs in LA's two-run seventh, when Barajas scored on Helton's throwing error and Carroll hit an RBI single to make it 9-3.
The Rockies rallied within 9-7 on two-run homers by Gonzalez and Tulowitzki in the bottom of the seventh. The blasts knocked reliever Ramon Troncoso out of the game after 1 2/3 innings.
Juan Uribe scored Loney with an RBI single in the eighth for LA, while Helton belted his solo homer with two outs in the ninth. Blake Hawksworth surrendered the shot, then a single to Tulowitzki. Scott Elbert came in to get the last out and earn his first career save.
The 22-year-old De La Rosa's earned run average climbed from 1.80 to 3.00...The Rockies are 2-2 on a 10-game homestand that continues with a three- game series against the Padres starting Monday...Jimenez was 12-1 at this time last season.
- LOS ANGELES: 10
Jun 12 6:53 PM
- Todd Helton two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right center. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Dodgers 10, Rockies 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 12 6:44 PM
- Rod Barajas grounded into a double play, first to short to first to end the inning.
Dodgers 10, Rockies 7 Mid 8Jun 12 6:16 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left scored Ryan Spilborghs. Seth Smith due up.
Dodgers 9, Rockies 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 12 6:01 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Jose Morales. Ryan Spilborghs due up.
Dodgers 9, Rockies 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 12 5:54 PM
- Jamey Carroll single to right scored Trent Oeltjen with one out. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Aaron Miles due up.
Dodgers 9, Rockies 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 12 5:44 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. bunt singled to first. On the play, Trent Oeltjen advanced to third and Rod Barajas scored on Todd Helton's throwing error. Runners on first and third with one out and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 8, Rockies 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 12 5:41 PM
- Rod Barajas two-out, solo Home Run (8) to center. Trent Oeltjen due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 3 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 12 4:47 PM
- Matt Kemp lead-off Home Run (20) to center. James Loney due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 3 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 12 4:43 PM
- Rod Barajas single to right scored Juan Uribe with two out. Runner on first and Trent Oeltjen due up.
Dodgers 5, Rockies 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 12 4:08 PM
- James Loney two-out, Grand Slam (4) to right scored Jamey Carroll, Aaron Miles and Matt Kemp. Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 4, Rockies 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 12 4:05 PM
- Seth Smith two-out, three-run Home Run (6) to right scored Carlos Gonzalez and Troy Tulowitzki. Ty Wigginton due up.
Dodgers 0, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 12 3:29 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 12 3:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22