Wells blasts Angels over DodgersJun 25, 2011 - 11:52 PM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Vernon Wells hit a three-run homer and Tyler Chatwood pitched seven strong innings, as the Angels took down the Dodgers, 6-1, in the middle installment of a three-game series.
Mark Trumbo hit a solo homer for the Angels, who have won three in a row. Howie Kendrick and Erick Aybar had an RBI apiece.
Chatwood (5-4) gave up one run on four hits to win his second straight start. He also struck out five and walked three.
"Everything was right on time today," Chatwood said. "My mechanics were good. I was able to stay under control."
A.J. Ellis knocked in the lone run for the Dodgers, who have lost three consecutive games since a three-game winning streak.
Hiroki Kuroda (5-9) failed to find the win column again, giving up two runs on three hits over five full frames. The right-hander hasn't won since May 17th.
The first hit of the game came in the top of the third, when Chatwood hit a two-out single to center. Aybar followed with an RBI triple to right-center field to make it 1-0.
Trumbo extended the Angels' lead to 2-0 with a solo homer to left in the fourth.
Chatwood retired the first 10 batters he faced in order. Jamey Carroll brought that streak to an end with a one-out single in the home fourth. Andre Ethier grounded into a double play to end the frame.
The Dodgers finally got to Chatwood in the fifth. James Loney and Aaron Miles hit consecutive one-out singles before Trent Oeltjen walked to load the bases. Ellis forced in a run when he walked. Chatwood kept it a 2-1 game by getting pinch-hitter Casey Blake to line into a double play.
The Angels tacked on four runs in the eighth to pull away. Matt Guerrier gave up a one-out double to pinch-hitter Russell Branyan, who crossed the plate on Kendrick's two-out base hit. Hong-Chih Kuo came in from the bullpen and walked Bobby Abreu. Wells stepped to the plate and hit a three-run homer over the wall in left to make it 6-1.
"In the early innings, Tyler got us pretty good," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "Being down a run, we had to take chances. They had that one inning and broke it open on us."
Scott Downs tossed a perfect eighth and Trevor Bell pitched a scoreless ninth to seal the victory.
The Angels won five of six matchups with the Dodgers a year ago and swept a three-game set at Chavez Ravine from June 11-13...Kuroda has lost six of his last seven starts...Angels outfielder Torii Hunter (bruised left rib cage) missed his second straight game...The Dodgers were without outfielder Marcus Thames (left calf)...Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp was ejected from the game in the bottom of the fifth for arguing a called third strike...The Angels have won 14 consecutive games when scoring four or more runs...Loney and Miles both had two hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
LOS ANGELES: 1
Jun 25 7:11 PM
- Vernon Wells two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Howie Kendrick and Bobby Abreu. Alberto Callaspo is due up.
Angels 6, Dodgers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 25 6:37 PM
- Hong-Chih Kuo enters the game for the Dodgers with a runner on first and two outs.
Angels 3, Dodgers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 25 6:30 PM
- A.J. Ellis walk scored James Loney. Bases loaded with one out and Hiroki Kuroda due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 25 5:39 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Hank Conger is due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 25 5:10 PM
- Erick Aybar tripled to righ- center scoring Tyler Chatwood. Runner on third with two outs and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 1, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 25 4:46 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 4:13 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22