Weaver shuts down DodgersJul 3, 2011 - 4:47 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Vernon Wells' two-run home run was all the offense the Angels would need as Jered Weaver tossed eight innings of one-run ball in a 7-1 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the second of a three- game interleague set.
Weaver (10-4) scattered four hits and two walks while striking out eight. He has now allowed one earned run or less in six of his last eight starts and has thrown six innings or more in 26 straight starts, dating back to last August.
"The guys came out and did a heck of a job tonight. Anytime you can get a six or seven run lead, it takes a lot of the pressure off you," said Weaver.
Erick Aybar also knocked in two runs and Bobby Abreu had a two-run single as the Angels won for the seventh time in nine tries.
Clayton Kershaw (8-4) allowed seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits and a walk while fanning 10 over six frames in the Dodgers' third defeat in four games.
"Clayton pitched the same as always. They just got a couple of key hits. It was good hitting by them," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly.
Jeff Mathis led off the third inning with a double, advanced to third on a Maicer Izturis groundout and crossed the plate on Aybar's fielder's choice to short. On the play, shortstop Dee Gordon fielded the ball and threw it home, trying to get Mathis, but his throw sailed over the head of Dioner Navarro. After an Abreu strikeout, Wells blasted a homer over the left-field fence to give the Angels a 3-0 lead.
The Angels added three more runs to their lead in the fourth. Alberto Callaspo started the frame with a walk and Peter Bourjos followed with a bunt single. It looked like Kershaw would get out of the inning unscathed by getting the next two batters out, but Aybar blooped a single into left field, scoring Callaspo. Aybar then stole second, and Abreu followed by slapping a two-run single into center.
The Dodgers finally lit up the scoreboard in the fifth when James Loney doubled, moved to third on an Aaron Miles groundout and scored when Trent Oeltjen sent a sacrifice fly to deep right field.
The rout continued in the sixth when Gordon's second throwing error of the game allowed Bourjos to come home from second, making it a 7-1 contest.
The only other time the Dodgers put runners in scoring position was the fourth, seventh and ninth innings, but each time they would fail to get the clutch hit they needed. They finished the game going 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded four men on base.
Howie Kendrick extended his season-high hit streak to 11 games...The loss for Kershaw was the first in his last 12 starts...The Angels improved to 12-5 and the Dodgers fell to 6-8 in interleague contests this year...The Angels won despite hitting 3-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranding seven men on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 1
LOS ANGELES: 7
Jul 2 11:49 PM
- Erick Aybar reached first on Dee Gordon's throwing error. Peter Bourjos scored. Runner on first with two outs and Bobby Abreu due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 2 11:00 PM
- Trent Oeltjen sacrifice fly out to center scored James Loney. None on with two outs and Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 1, Angels 6 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 2 10:36 PM
- Vernon Wells popped out to second to end the inning.
Dodgers 0, Angels 6 End 4Jul 2 10:30 PM
- Erick Aybar single to left scored Alberto Callaspo. On the play, Peter Bourjos advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Bobby Abreu due up.
Dodgers 0, Angels 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 2 10:24 PM
- Vernon Wells two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Erick Aybar. Howie Kendrick due up.
Dodgers 0, Angels 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 2 10:02 PM
- Erick Aybar grounded into a fielder's choice to short. Jeff Mathis scored. Erick Aybar advances to second on Dee Gordon's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Bobby Abreu due up.
Dodgers 0, Angels 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 2 9:58 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 2 9:09 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22