Dodgers build big lead, hold off RockiesJul 26, 2011 - 6:46 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Andre Ethier hit a two-run home run and finished with three RBI as the Los Angeles Dodgers took an 8-5 win over the Colorado Rockies to open a three-game set.
Aaron Miles drove in two and scored once while Rafael Furcal had an RBI and two runs scored for the Dodgers, who have won three straight. Rubby De La Rosa (4-4) had dropped his past four decisions, but went six innings in the win as he gave up just one run on three hits with four walks and five strikeouts.
Dexter Fowler finished with two hits and two RBI for the Rockies, who have dropped their past three games. Juan Nicasio (4-3) was tagged for five runs on six hits with two walks and five strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings.
The Dodgers took an 8-1 lead into the ninth inning, but nearly gave it away.
Hong-Chih Kuo started the frame on the mound, but the only out he got was an Ian Stewart groundout that scored Seth Smith. After Chris Iannetta worked a walk, Mike MacDougal took the mound and fared no batter.
Ryan Spilborghs drew a walk and Fowler singled home another run to make it a five-run game. Jason Giambi then reached base when Jamey Carroll misplayed his grounder and Iannetta scored. Todd Helton then followed with a bases-loaded walk to put the tying run at first base.
Javy Guerra then took the mound and shut it down as he got Troy Tulowitzki to pop out to short and induced a groundout from Smith for his eighth save of the season.
"You wouldn't think we'd be in that position in the ninth inning," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "We just didn't go down and took advantage of some wildness. The opportunity was there, but we couldn't capitalize on it."
Fowler gave the Rockies an early lead with an RBI single in the second, but Miles hit an RBI double in the third and Ethier followed with his 10th home run of the season for a 3-1 lead.
Juan Rivera hit an RBI double in the sixth and scored later in the inning when Dioner Navarro singled him home for a 5-1 lead.
The Dodgers got three runs that they would later need in the bottom of the eighth. With the bases loaded and one out, Furcal hit into a fielder's choice that scored Navarro. Miles and Ethier then hit consecutive RBI singles for an 8-1 lead.
"You don't want to finish a game like that, but it's a win," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "I'd rather be on this side with a win than on the other side."
Each team has won five times in the season series...The Rockies batted just 2- for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine batters...All of Nicasio's losses this year have come on the road...Before the game, the Rockies reinstated pitcher Esmil Rogers from the 15-day disabled list and designated pitcher Eric Stults for assignment.
- COLORADO: 5
LOS ANGELES: 8
Jul 26 1:45 AM
- Todd Helton's one-out, bases loaded walk scored Ryan Spilborghs. Bases loaded with one out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 5, Dodgers 8 Top 9, 1 OutJul 26 1:39 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Giambi reached first on Jamey Carroll's error scored Chris Iannetta. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to second and Ryan Spilborghs advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 8 Top 9, 1 OutJul 26 1:35 AM
- Jason Giambi pinch-hitting for Mark Ellis.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 8 Top 9, 1 OutJul 26 1:32 AM
- Ian Stewart grounded out short to first scored Seth Smith. On the play, Eric Young Jr. advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Chris Iannetta due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 8 Top 9, 1 OutJul 26 1:24 AM
- Andre Ethier singled to left scored Rafael Furcal. On the play, Aaron Miles advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Matt Kemp due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 26 1:08 AM
- Rafael Furcal grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Dioner Navarro. Jamey Carroll out at second. Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Aaron Miles due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 26 1:04 AM
- Dioner Navarro singled to center scored Juan Rivera. Runner on first with two outs and Eugenio Velez due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 26 12:12 AM
- Juan Rivera doubled to left scored Andre Ethier. Runner on second with one out and James Loney due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 26 12:05 AM
- Andre Ethier one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Aaron Miles. Matt Kemp due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 25 11:13 PM
- Aaron Miles doubled to left center scored Rafael Furcal. Runner on second with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 25 11:12 PM
- Dexter Fowler singled to right scored Chris Iannetta. On the play, Juan Nicasio advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 25 10:42 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 10:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22