Dodgers score three in fourth, edge RockiesJul 27, 2011 - 6:41 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Clayton Kershaw pitched into the seventh and the Dodgers took advantage of an error in their three-run fourth inning to down the Rockies, 3-2, in the middle installment of a three-game series between the downtrodden NL West clubs.
Matt Kemp drove in two and scored a run behind Kershaw (12-4), who won his fourth straight decision by allowing two runs on eight hits in 6 2/3 innings.
Jhoulys Chacin (8-8) dropped his fourth straight decision after allowing three runs -- just one earned -- on three hits and a walk in a six-inning start. Todd Helton drove in both Colorado runs.
The Dodgers are in the midst of a four-game winning streak while the Rockies have lost four in a row.
Kershaw retired Troy Tulowitzki and Ty Wigginton to leave a pair in scoring position in the first inning, and an error and a walk to start the home fourth helped the Dodgers give the lefty a lead he didn't relinquish.
Wigginton began the inning by dropping a routine pop up. Kemp stepped in two batters later and drove a double to center to score Rafael Furcal and Andre Ethier. A groundout moved Kemp to third, and Juan Rivera knocked in the eventual game-winner with a sacrifice fly.
"We took advantage of their mistakes," Kershaw said. "[Kemp] had a big hit."
The Rockies notched three straight singles to start the next half-inning, the last a base hit by Helton that scored Dexter Fowler. It was the first earned run Kershaw allowed in 28 frames.
Kershaw was pulled after yielding two singles and Helton's RBI groundout in the seventh. Matt Guerrier entered and got Tulowitzki to bounce back to the mound to strand a runner on third.
Guerrier stayed in and hurled a 1-2-3 eighth, and Kenley Jansen tossed a perfect ninth for his second save of the season.
"We played with some intensity, but we didn't play well enough to win," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Hiroki Kuroda will try to pitch the Dodgers to a sweep on Wednesday opposite Aaron Cook...Chacin had hurled 15 scoreless innings over previous two starts against the Dodgers this year...Kershaw improved to 8-1 at home this season...LA has won eight of its last nine home games.
- COLORADO: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jul 27 12:59 AM
- Todd Helton ground out to first scored Eric Young Jr. with two out. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runner on third and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 27 12:34 AM
- Todd Helton single to right scored Dexter Fowler with two out. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 3 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 26 11:34 PM
- Juan Rivera sacrifice fly to second scored Matt Kemp with two out. None on and Dioner Navarro due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 26 11:24 PM
- Matt Kemp double to center scored Rafael Furcal and Andre Ethier with none out. Runner on second and Aaron Miles due up.
Rockies 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 26 11:19 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 26 10:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22