Phillies rally from 6 down to sweep DodgersAug 10, 2011 - 11:36 PM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Swagger is a heck of a thing.
The Phillies, while building baseball's best record, proved they have it in spades.
The Dodgers are still looking.
Trailing 6-0 after three innings, the Phillies scored nine times in the next three innings and held on for a 9-8 victory Wednesday to complete a three-game sweep of the Dodgers in Los Angeles.
Ryan Howard's two-run homer capped a four-run sixth inning that finally gave Philadelphia the lead after its standout young starter, Vance Worley, was knocked around in one of his worst outings of the season.
Hunter Pence also had a two-run homer for the red-hot Phillies, who wrapped up the best 10-game road trip in franchise history with a 9-1 record. It was their 12th victory in the last 13 games overall.
Matt Kemp finished with four hits and Juan Rivera belted a three-run homer to key a five-run first inning for the Dodgers, who have lost four in a row.
The Phillies swept the Dodgers in LA for the first time since a three-game series from June 9-11, 1995.
They had to overcome an ugly start to wrap it up.
The Dodgers scored more earned runs against Worley than any team this season. The 23-year-old righty lasted just four innings and was charged with six runs on seven hits and three walks while striking out six. He allowed eight runs in a May 29 loss to the Mets -- his only setback of the season -- but only five of them were earned.
Kyle Kendrick (7-5) pitched the fifth inning and walked away with the win despite giving up a run. David Herndon, Brad Lidge and Antonio Bastardo combined to throw three scoreless innings and Ryan Madson earned his 22nd save of the season after giving up a run but escaping further trouble in the ninth.
"Our pitchers held them and gave us a chance to win and Ryan found a way to get a big hit," said Phillies manager Charlie Manuel.
In the first inning, Casey Blake and Andre Ethier drew back-to-back walks off Worley and Kemp delivered an RBI single before Rivera knocked his eighth homer over the wall in left-center field to quickly make it 4-0.
James Loney walked and Dioner Navarro drove him in with a double for a 5-0 lead, but was thrown out trying to take third base. Jamey Carroll tripled for the seventh baserunner of the inning, but Worley fanned Dodgers starter Chad Billingsley for the third out.
The Dodgers pushed their lead to 6-0 on Navarro's sacrifice fly in the third inning, which scored Kemp, who led off the inning with a double.
But the Phillies scored nine runs over the next three innings, chipping away at the deficit until they finally took the lead.
"It's definitely frustrating," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "They put up nine runs in three innings. We couldn't stop the bleeding."
Pence homered and Worley hit an RBI single off Billingsley in the fourth inning, and the Dodgers right-hander was chased during a two-run rally in the fifth. Shane Victorino walked and scored on an error and Howard came home on a ground out by Raul Ibanez, getting the Phillies within 6-5.
After Loney doubled home Rivera in the fifth for a two-run LA lead, the Phillies took the lead in the sixth.
Ben Francisco drew a one-out walk against Hong-Chih Kuo and Jimmy Rollins singled off Blake Hawksworth (2-3). Chase Utley came through with a two-run single before Howard smacked his 25th homer of the season the opposite way to left field to make it 9-7 Phillies.
"It felt great," said Howard. "It was a fastball away. I just tried to see the pitch."
Later, Blake singled to lead off the ninth inning for the Dodgers, but stayed at first after Ibanez tracked down a long fly ball that Ethier hit to the warning track in left. Kemp singled to move Blake to third and Rivera grounded softly into a force out to score a run. But Madson got pinch hitter Rod Barajas on a fly out to end the game.
The Phillies went 5-1 against the Dodgers this season and are 9-2 in the last 11 meetings between the teams...Billingsley was charged with five runs -- two earned -- on seven hits in 4 1/3 innings and failed to earn a decision for the first time in 17 starts...The Phillies have a day off before starting a six- game homestand against Washington and Arizona...Despite the poor outing, Worley remained unbeaten in his last 10 starts -- all Phillies wins.
- PHILADELPHIA: 9
LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 10 6:53 PM
- Juan Rivera grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Casey Blake with two out. Matt Kemp out at second. Runner on first and Javy Guerra due up.
Phillies 9, Dodgers 8 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 10 6:51 PM
- Ryan Howard two-out, two-run Home Run (25) to left scored Chase Utley. Hunter Pence due up.
Phillies 9, Dodgers 7 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 10 5:40 PM
- Chase Utley singled to left scoring Ben Francisco and Jimmy Rollins with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Howard due up.
Phillies 7, Dodgers 7 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 10 5:37 PM
- James Loney doubled to right scoring Juan Rivera with one out. Runner on second and Dioner Navarro due up.
Phillies 5, Dodgers 7 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 10 5:13 PM
- Raul Ibanez grounded out to first scoring Ryan Howard with two out. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to third. Runner on third with Brian Schneider due up.
Phillies 5, Dodgers 6 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 10 5:02 PM
- Casey Blake fielding error scored Shane Victorino with one out. Hunter Pence reached second and Ryan Howard advanced to third. Runners on second and third with Raul Ibanez due up.
Phillies 4, Dodgers 6 Top 5, 1 OutAug 10 4:55 PM
- Vance Worley singled to center scoring Michael Martinez with two out. Runner on first and Jimmy Rollins due up.
Phillies 3, Dodgers 6 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 10 4:32 PM
- Hunter Pence none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Ryan Howard. Raul Ibanez due up.
Phillies 2, Dodgers 6 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 10 4:26 PM
- Dioner Navarro sacrifice fly to left scored Matt Kemp with two out. Runner on first and Jamey Carroll due up.
Phillies 0, Dodgers 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 10 4:19 PM
- Dioner Navarro doubled to right scoring James Loney with one out. On the play, Navarro thrown out at third. None on with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Phillies 0, Dodgers 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 10 3:43 PM
- Juan Rivera one-out, three-run Home Run (2) to left scored Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp. James Loney due up.
Phillies 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 10 3:38 PM
- Matt Kemp singled to left scoring Casey Blake with one out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to second. Runners on first and second with Juan Rivera due up.
Phillies 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 10 3:35 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 3:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22