Dodgers break out bats against RockiesAug 20, 2011 - 6:05 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Rod Barajas hit a three-run homer and knocked in four, and the Los Angeles Dodgers rolled to an 8-2 victory over the Colorado Rockies on Friday to open a three-game series.
The Dodgers, who started their 10-game road trip by dropping three of four in Milwaukee, banged out 10 hits and gave Hiroki Kuroda some solid run support for a second straight start.
Kuroda (9-14) earned his first career win against the Rockies after allowing two runs on four hits in six innings, striking out five and walking three.
Jason Hammel (7-12) was foiled by LA again, taking the loss after giving up six runs and six hits in just three innings. He fell to 1-3 in four starts against the Dodgers this season.
Carlos Gonzalez had an RBI single and Troy Tulowitzki doubled twice for the Rockies, who are 3-6 in their last nine.
Although Kuroda is just 4-11 in his last 16 starts since May 17, the Dodgers have scored 15 runs for him in his last two outings, both wins. The righty had a stretch of 13 outings where they scored just 2.77 runs a game for him.
"He's been the guy this year that hasn't gotten a whole lot of runs, but tonight he got some early," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "He stayed aggressive and made them put the ball in play."
The Dodgers scored seven runs in the first four innings to take control, including RBI singles from Aaron Miles and Rod Barajas in the first and second.
They blew it open with a four-run third, getting an RBI single from James Loney and a three-run blast from Barajas, his 12th homer of the season, to make it 6-0.
"It's tough (to make up that deficit) especially with Kuroda, a guy who challenges the strike zone," said Tulowitzki. "You don't want to be first- pitch swinging or make easy outs. You want to work counts and try to get to their bullpen."
Gonzalez knocked in Colorado's first run in the third, but Tony Gwynn Jr. smacked a solo homer in the fourth, his second of the season.
In the sixth, Gonzalez walked and Tulowitzki doubled before Todd Helton grounded out to score a run. Matt Kemp hit an RBI single in the seventh to cap the scoring for LA.
Entering the game, Kuroda was 0-5 in nine previous starts against Colorado, including a loss on July 27 when he gave up just one run in six innings...The Rockies are 2-2 on a nine-game homestand.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 19 11:56 PM
- Matt Kemp singled to left scored Justin Sellers with one out. On the play, Aaron Miles advances to second. Runners on first and second with Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 8, Rockies 2 Top 7, 1 OutAug 19 10:56 PM
- Todd Helton grounded out second to first scored Carlos Gonzalez with one out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to third. Runner on third and Seth Smith due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 19 10:40 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Justin Sellers due up.
Dodgers 7, Rockies 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 19 10:02 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to right scored Jonathan Herrera with two out. On the play, Chris Nelson advances to second. Runners on first and second with Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 19 9:55 PM
- Rod Barajas two-out, three-run Home Run (12) to left scored Juan Rivera and James Loney. Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 6, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 19 9:40 PM
- James Loney singled to center scored Aaron Miles with two out. On the play, Juan Rivera advances to third. Runners on first and third with Rod Barajas due up.
Dodgers 3, Rockies 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 19 9:38 PM
- Rod Barajas singled to center scored Juan Rivera with one out. Runner on first and Jamey Carroll due up.
Dodgers 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 19 9:03 PM
- Aaron Miles singled to left scored Justin Sellers with one out. Runner on first and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 19 8:46 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 8:40 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22