SF playoff hopes flickering after beating DodgersSep 22, 2011 - 6:59 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Justin Christian went 3-for-5 with three RBI and fellow rookie Brett Pill had three hits and drove in a pair to keep the Giants pushing towards a playoff spot with an 8-5 win over the Dodgers.
The Giants' offensive turnaround over their 9-1 stretch may be a little too late though, as they trail the NL wild card-leading Braves by 3 1/2 games and the NL West-leading Diamondbacks by 5 1/2 with seven to play.
Ryan Vogelsong (12-7) went the minimum five innings to earn the win, allowing four runs on nine hits and one walk.
Dana Eveland (2-2) entered with a 0.84 earned-run average against the Giants but lasted just four innings after getting tagged for five runs on six hits.
Los Angeles, which came in riding a four-game winning streak, cut into a 5-0 deficit with a four-spot in the fifth, as Jamey Carroll singled in a run and Matt Kemp belted a three-run homer over the wall in left-center.
"I was upset I gave some runs back, but we're swinging the bats well and did a good job of scoring runs," Vogelsong said.
Josh Lindblom gave up an RBI bloop single to Christian in the sixth, and Hong- Chih Kuo yielded a pair of runs in the seventh on Pill's RBI double and Mark DeRosa's sacrifice fly.
The Dodgers got a run in the ninth off James Loney's single, but Brian Wilson stranded a pair by getting Aaron Miles on a pop out to center to secure his 36th save.
"We got back in the game, we made a run, but then they bounced back and that hurt," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
San Francisco got three two-out runs in the first on Pill's run-scoring single and Mike Fontenot's two-RBI base hit.
Christian's double to the gap in the fourth brought in two more for a 5-0 cushion.
Vogelsong has gone 6-1 in 13 games -- 12 starts -- on the road this year...Giants reliever Sergio Romo extended his scoreless streak to 21 1/3 innings frames with two strikeouts in the eighth.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
LOS ANGELES: 5
Sep 22 1:58 AM
- James Loney single to right scored Matt Kemp with two out. On the play, Juan Rivera advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Aaron Miles due up.
Giants 8, Dodgers 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 22 1:54 AM
- Mark DeRosa sacrifice fly to center scored Brett Pill with two out. None on with two outs and Mike Fontenot due up.
Giants 8, Dodgers 4 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 22 12:46 AM
- Brett Pill double to left center scored Andres Torres with none out. Runner on second with none out and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 7, Dodgers 4 Top 7, 0 OutsSep 22 12:39 AM
- Justin Christian single to right scored Mark DeRosa with two out. On the play, Conor Gillaspie advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Giants 6, Dodgers 4 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 22 12:17 AM
- Matt Kemp none-out, three-run Home Run (35) to left center scored Dee Gordon and Jamey Carroll. Juan Rivera due up.
Giants 5, Dodgers 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 21 11:54 PM
- Justin Christian double to left center scored Mark DeRosa and Chris Stewart with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Giants 5, Dodgers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsSep 21 11:21 PM
- Mike Fontenot single to left scored Brett Pill and Brandon Belt with two out. On the play, Mark DeRosa and Mike Fontenot advance on the throw home. Runners on second and third with two outs and Chris Stewart due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 21 10:25 PM
- Brett Pill single to center scored Carlos Beltran with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 21 10:17 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22