Halos drop Fish in 10Jun 23, 2011 - 4:39 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Mark Trumbo knocked in the winning run in the 10th inning to lift the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim over the Florida Marlins, 6-5, in the rubber match of a three-game interleague set.
Jordan Walden (1-1) allowed the tying run to score in the bottom of the eighth but still earned the win by throwing a scoreless ninth inning.
Bobby Abreu had a two-run home run and scored the game-winning run for the Angels, winners in six of their last nine games.
"Bobby's been having good at bats. It was good to see the power come out of him and especially on a 3-0 count. He's usually very selective about swinging in those counts but he squared one up and it was important," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said about Abreu's home run.
Burke Badenhop (1-1) took the loss by allowing the game-deciding run. Starter Brian Sanches lasted just 2 1/3 innings, allowing four runs on seven hits and a walk as the Marlins fell to 2-20 in June.
Abreu led off the 10th inning with a walk and moved to second on a Vernon Wells groundout. After a Howie Kendrick strikeout, Trumbo hit a hard bouncer up the middle that Hanley Ramirez had hop over the tip of his glove and into center field. Dewayne Wise made a strong throw home, but it was wide and to the right, allowing Abreu to slide home safely for the go-ahead run.
Michael Kohn pitched a perfect bottom half of the inning for the Angels to earn his first save of the season.
"Every day it's not easy to go out there and be happy. But when you play and you play the right way, you have good things going and there is a lot of smiles out there," Ramirez said about playing during this losing stretch.
Emilio Bonifacio led off the bottom of the first with a double and advanced to third on Logan Morrison's fly out, but was tagged out in between home and third when he was caught in a rundown on a Gaby Sanchez grounder to third. Sanchez took second during the play, and Ramirez then lined a single into center that scored Sanchez and gave Florida an early 1-0 lead.
The Angels fought back with a four-run third inning. After Maicer Izturis led off the inning with a home run, Erick Aybar and Torii Hunter had back-to-back doubles to bring Aybar across the plate. Abreu came up next and smacked a two- run homer over the right-field fence. Two batters later, Kendrick tripled off the right field wall to knock Sanches out of the game.
Michael Dunn took the mound next and kept the score where it was by inducing a Trumbo pop out and a Joel Pineiro strikeout to end the inning.
Florida put together its own rally in the fourth after Greg Dobbs and Mike Stanton hit consecutive singles to start the inning. Omar Infante hammered a ball down the third-base line that deflected off of Izturis' glove and into left field, allowing Dobbs to score and a bloop single into left field by Bonifacio plated Stanton to make it a 4-3 game.
The Marlins added another run in the seventh on a Ramirez two-out RBI single that tied the game at four.
After Trumbo laced a two-out double down the left-field line in the eighth inning, Hank Conger followed with a single into left-center field that scored Trumbo and put LA back on top, 5-4.
Florida answered right back to tie the game in the bottom half of the inning, though, after Stanton slapped a triple down the right-field line to lead off the frame and later crossed the dish on a pinch-hit single by Wise off of Walden.
Hunter has now hit safely in 21 consecutive interleague road games...Hunter left the game in the fifth inning after crashing into the wall while making a catch in the outfield...Pineiro started the game for the Angels and allowed four runs on eight hits and a walk through six-plus innings.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Jun 22 10:40 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to center scored Bobby Abreu. Runner on second with two outs and Jordan Walden due up.
Angels 6, Marlins 5 Top 10, 2 OutsJun 22 10:30 PM
- Pinch-Hitter DeWayne Wise singled to center scored Mike Stanton. On the play, Omar Infante advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Angels 5, Marlins 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 22 10:04 PM
- Hank Conger singled to left scored Mark Trumbo. On the play, Hank Conger advances to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 5, Marlins 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 22 9:49 PM
- Scott Downs enters the game pitching, Alberto Callaspo to third and Macier Izturis to short for the Angels.
Angels 4, Marlins 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 22 9:37 PM
- Logan Morrison grounded out to first to end the inning.
Angels 4, Marlins 3 End 4Jun 22 8:38 PM
- Jose Lopez pinch-hits for the Marlins.
Angels 4, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 22 8:34 PM
- Bobby Abreu none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Torii Hunter. Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 4, Marlins 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 22 7:55 PM
- Torii Hunter doubled to right scored Erick Aybar. Runner on second with none out and Bobby Abreu due up.
Angels 2, Marlins 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 22 7:53 PM
- Erick Aybar doubled to left. Runner on second with none out and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 1, Marlins 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJun 22 7:50 PM
- Greg Dobbs grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Angels 0, Marlins 1 End 1Jun 22 7:23 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 22 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22