Blue Jays down Angels in walkoffSep 20, 2011 - 6:20 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - Mike McCoy scored the decisive run in the bottom of the 10th inning and the Toronto Blue Jays dealt a blow to the Angels' playoff hopes with a 3-2 win at Rogers Centre.
An inning after Toronto stranded two men in scoring position, McCoy reached on an error from Eric Aybar to begin the 10th. An Eric Thames single moved him to second and he took third on a fielder's choice.
With runners on the corners, the Angels went with a five-man infield, bringing in Torii Hunter from right field. Adam Lind then hit a grounder to Hunter and McCoy beat his throw home to give the Blue Jays their sixth win in eight games.
"There are things on the defensive side that definitely swung the momentum of the game," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said.
Casey Janssen (6-0), who pitched around a leadoff double by Vernon Wells in the top of the 10th, earned the win, while Scott Downs (6-3) suffered the loss.
Toronto's Ricky Romero gave up leadoff home runs to Hunter in the second and Mark Trumbo in the fifth among six hits over nine stellar innings.
Jerome Williams allowed a pair of unearned runs as a result of his throwing error in 6 1/3 frames for Los Angeles.
The loss dropped the Angels five games behind the AL West-leading Texas Rangers, who were idle on Monday. They are also 4 1/2 games back of Boston in the wild card race.
Down a run, Toronto grabbed the lead in the fourth. Edwin Encarnacion led off with a walk and Kelly Johnson hit a chopper that Williams barehanded. However, his throw to second base was off-line. After Brett Lawrie walked to loaded the bases, Colby Rasmus grounded into a 3-2-3 double play. J.P. Arencibia then delivered a two-run single to right field.
Thames had three of Toronto's nine hits...The Blue Jays finished 1-for-11 with runners in scoring position...Hunter clubbed his 21st home run of the season and Trumbo upped his home run total this year to 28.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
Sep 19 10:02 PM
- Adam Lind fielder's choice scored Mike McCoy to win the game.
Angels 2, Blue Jays 3 Bot 10, 1 OutSep 19 10:00 PM
- Vernon Wells singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Peter Bourjos due up.
Angels 2, Blue Jays 2 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 19 8:16 PM
- J.P. Arencibia singled to right scored Kelly Johnson and Brett Lawrie. Runner on first with two outs and Mike McCoy due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 19 8:09 PM
- Torii Hunter lead-off Home Run (21) to left center. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 19 7:25 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Sep 19 7:11 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22