Giants rally late to down RockiesMay 7, 2011 - 7:24 AM
The Giants got a two-run double from Nate Schierholtz in the eighth to tie the game and won it off of Felipe Paulino (0-2) in the ninth.
Cody Ross led off with a double down the first base line, but Aaron Rowand then struck out swinging. Sanchez, though, smacked a single up the middle to score Ross for the win.
"Hopefully this gets a spark going," Sanchez said.
Buster Posey drove in the other run and scored once while Brian Wilson (1-1) got the win for throwing a 1-2-3 ninth for the Giants, who have won three of four.
Troy Tulowitzki hit a solo home run while Carlos Gonzalez and Jonathan Herrera each had an RBI for the Rockies, who have lost four of five.
"I'm definitely not at my best right now, but you're going to have times like that during the season. It's about how fast you turn it around, so hopefully I can get going here," Tulowitzki said.
Neither starter factored into the decision as Ubaldo Jimenez gave up one run on two hits with five walks and seven strikeouts over six innings for Colorado while Matt Cain was touched for three runs on five hits with two walks and four strikeouts for the Giants.
Tulowitzki led off the second with his eighth home run of the year to give Colorado the lead and the team extended that to 3-0 in the third on an RBI single from Herrera followed by a sac fly off the bat of Gonzalez.
San Francisco didn't get its first runner to third base until the sixth when Mike Fontenot led off with a triple. Posey followed with a groundout that scored Fontenot to get the team on the board.
In the eighth with Rafael Betancourt on the mound for Colorado, the Giants rallied to tie the game.
With one out, Posey singled and, after Aubrey Huff struck out, Pat Burrell doubled to right-center. Schierholtz then doubled to left to make it a 3-3 contest.
The Giants took two of three from the Rockies in Colorado in April...The Giants left nine on base while the Rockies stranded eight...Esmil Rogers pitches for Colorado on Saturday and will be opposed by Madison Bumgarner for the Giants.
- COLORADO: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
May 7 1:21 AM
- Freddy Sanchez singled to center scored Cody Ross to end the game.
Rockies 3, Giants 4 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 7 1:21 AM
- Nate Schierholtz doubled to left scored Buster Posey and Pinch-Runner Darren Ford. Runner on second with two outs and Miguel Tejada due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 7 1:06 AM
- Buster Posey grounded out to first scored Mike Fontenot. None on with one out and Aubrey Huff due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 1 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 7 12:08 AM
- Carlos Gonzalez sacrifice fly to center scored Dexter Fowler. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 6 11:13 PM
- Jonathan Herrera singled to center scored Chris Iannetta. On the play, Dexter Fowler advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 6 11:12 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (8) to left. Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 6 10:48 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 6 10:29 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21