Ross, Vogelsong help Giants complete sweep of RockiesMay 9, 2011 - 4:26 AM
Ross went 2-for-3 for the Giants, who recorded their first three-game sweep of Colorado since August 28-30, 2009 at AT&T Park.
Vogelsong (2-0) struck out four and walked one to pick up the win. Javier Lopez pitched 1 2/3 scoreless frames and Brian Wilson worked around a two-out single in the ninth to complete the shutout.
Jorge De La Rosa (4-1) gave up three runs on four hits over six innings to suffer his first loss of the season. He also struck out seven and walked five for the Rockies, who have lost four in a row.
"You go along during the course of a six-month season and you step into a pot hole periodically, and obviously we've stepped into one," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "As we move forward we'll find out the mettle of our club."
Ross broke a scoreless tie in the fourth. Pat Burrell hit a one-out double and crossed the plate on Ross' base hit to left.
"Normal fastball counts he kept throwing his changeup and I was looking for it," Ross said of the at-bat.
Vogelsong's bid for a perfect game came to an end in the sixth. Chris Iannetta led off the frame with a single to center. Iannetta went to second on a sacrifice bunt, but Vogelsong struck out Dexter Fowler to keep it a 1-0 game.
Ross' two-run blast in the home sixth gave San Francisco a 3-0 lead. Buster Posey walked with one out and scored two batters later on Ross' homer to left.
Vogelsong was pulled after putting men on first and second with one out in the seventh. Lopez took over on the mound and got Jason Giambi to ground into a double play to end the frame.
The Giants have taken five of six from Colorado this season...The Rockies went 1-5 on a six-game road trip...De La Rosa fell to 7-2 lifetime against San Francisco...The Giants improved to 1-5 on Sunday's this season...Wilson recorded his 11th save of the year...Iannetta had two of Colorado's three hits...San Francisco won the first two games of this series on its last at- bat.
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
May 8 7:00 PM
- Miguel Tejada grounded out to pitcher to end the inning.
Rockies 0, Giants 3 End 6May 8 6:06 PM
- Cody Ross singled to left scored Pat Burrell. On the play, Cody Ross advances to second on Carlos Gonzalez's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Miguel Tejada due up.
Rockies 0, Giants 1 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 8 5:16 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 8 4:06 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21