Marlins blow lead, but beat Giants in 12thMay 26, 2011 - 7:58 AM
After Florida blew a four-run lead in the ninth, the teams played two more innings before pinch-hitter Emilio Bonifacio lifted a sacrifice fly in the 12th that brought home Scott Cousins for the go-ahead run.
Cousins reached on a fielder's choice bunt and moved to third on Omar Infante's single to set the table for Bonifacio's sac fly. During the play, Cousins barreled down on Giants catcher Buster Posey, who bobbled the throw from center field and injured his left leg during the subsequent collision.
The Giants posted on their Twitter account that Posey will have an MRI exam on his left ankle Thursday.
Burke Badenhop tossed 1-2-3 bottom half to get his first save of the season, while Ryan Webb (1-3) threw a shutout 11th to get the win, the Marlins' fourth in five games.
Guillermo Mota (2-1) allowed the lone run in the 12th for the Giants, who have dropped the first two of the three-game series.
Edward Mujica entered the ninth with a four-run lead but the Giants rallied to send the game into extras.
Nate Schierholtz, who was hitless in the game, led off the inning with a single and Mujica got Emmanuel Burriss to fly out. Miguel Tejada doubled to put runners on second and third and chase Mujica off the mound.
Leo Nunez then came in for the save opportunity. But a passed ball allowed Schierholtz to score, and Pat Burrell then slapped a pinch-hit single up the middle to bring home Tejada.
After Andres Torres struck out, the Giants got a double from Freddy Sanchez to put runners on second and third. That made way for Aubrey Huff's two-out bloop single over the shortstop's head to score two runs and knot the game at 6-6.
Florida struck in the first inning on Gaby Sanchez's RBI single and Mike Stanton's run-scoring double.
San Francisco, however, tied the game in the third. Torres' double plated Tejada, who led off the inning with a single. After a Sanchez single, Torres stole home.
Hanley Ramirez's ground out scored the go-ahead run in the fifth before Florida poured on three runs in the ninth. All three runs came home thanks to Stanton, who laced a double into the left-center gap with the bases loaded.
Stanton finished 4-for-6 with four RBI...Florida was 4-for-16 with runners in scoring position and left 12 runners on base...Marlins starter Chris Volstad went six innings, allowing two runs on six hits and two walks, and struck out six...Fresh off his first win of the season, Giants starter Madison Bumgarner also went six innings. He allowed eight hits and three runs...The game lasted four hours and six minutes.
- FLORIDA: 7
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
May 26 2:21 AM
- Emilio Bonifacio sacrifice fly to right scored Scott Cousins with two out. On the play, Omar Infante advances to second.
Marlins 7, Giants 6 Top 12, 2 OutsMay 26 2:11 AM
- Buster Posey singled to left. On the play, Aubrey Huff advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Marlins 6, Giants 6 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 26 1:30 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Pat Burrell single to center scored Miguel Tejada with one out. Runner on first and Andres Torres due up.
Marlins 6, Giants 4 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 26 1:21 AM
- Mike Stanton double to left center scored Emilio Bonifacio, Hanley Ramirez and Logan Morrison with two outs. Runner on second and John Buck due up.
Marlins 6, Giants 2 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 26 1:08 AM
- Hanley Ramirez ground out short to first scored Chris Coghlan with two outs. None on and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 3, Giants 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 25 11:32 PM
- Aubrey Huff struck out swinging. On the play, Andres Torres stole home with two outs. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Marlins 2, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 25 11:10 PM
- Andres Torres double to right scored Miguel Tejada with one out. Runner on second and Freddy Sanchez due up.
Marlins 2, Giants 1 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 25 11:04 PM
- Mike Stanton double to left scored Logan Morrison with one out. On the play, Gaby Sanchez advances to third. Runners on second and third and John Buck due up.
Marlins 2, Giants 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 25 10:22 PM
- Gaby Sanchez single to center scored Chris Coghlan with one out. On the play, Logan Morrison advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mike Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 25 10:21 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 10:16 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21