Tulo for hero, as Rockies edge GiantsJun 5, 2011 - 3:54 AM
Jhoulys Chacin (6-4) got the win as he went six innings and gave up just one run on four hits with three walks and two strikeouts. Tulowitzki and Eric Young each scored a run for the Rockies, who had dropped four of five coming in.
"We gotta do what we have to do while we're trying to get out of this funk and not allow the hole to get so deep where you say, 'Boy, that's a long climb for us,'" Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Cody Ross' solo home run accounted for the only run for the Giants, who had a three-game winning streak snapped. Madison Bumgarner (2-7) took the loss as he was charged with two runs -- one earned -- on seven hits with a walk and six strikeouts over seven innings.
"We showed some signs of it in St. Louis and the last few games. Today, not so much. But I think it's just a matter of time," Ross said.
The game didn't see any scoring until the fifth inning when Colorado took the lead. Tulowitzki led off with a single and Ryan Spilborghs later singled. Chris Nelson then hit into a fielder's choice that was potentially a double play, but Brandon Crawford's throw to first was wild and Tulowitzki scored for a 1-0 lead.
The sixth inning saw the Rockies take a 2-0 lead. Young led off with a bunt and moved to second on Jonathan Herrera's sac bunt. After Carlos Gonzalez flied out, Tulowitzki punched a single to center that scored Young. Tulowitzki was nailed at second base trying to stretch the hit into a double to end the inning.
San Francisco got a run back in the home sixth on Ross' fifth homer of the year, a solo shot to left.
That was it, though, as Matt Lindstrom, Rafael Betancourt and Huston Street each worked a perfect inning with Street picking up his 15th save of the season.
The start of the game was delayed 20 minutes due to rain in the area...Bumgarner, who had won his previous two starts, fell to 0-3 lifetime against the Rockies...Chacin improved to 3-1 against the Giants...Jason Hammel pitches for Colorado on Sunday and will be opposed by Ryan Vogelsong for San Francisco...San Fran has won six of the 10 games against Colorado this season.
- COLORADO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 1
Jun 4 7:13 PM
- Cody Ross two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Brandon Crawford is due up.
Rockies 2, Giants 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 4 6:11 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to center scoring Eric Young Jr. On the play, Tulowitzki was tagged out at second from center to first to short to end the inning.
Rockies 2, Giants 0 Mid 6Jun 4 6:07 PM
- Chris Nelson grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. Ryan Spilborghs out at second. On the play, Brandon Crawford's throwing error scored Troy Tulowitzki. Runner on second with two outs as Nelson advanced and Jose Morales due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 4 5:49 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 4 4:32 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21