Giants win seventh straight, hold on to beat RoxSep 18, 2011 - 4:19 AM
The win cut San Francisco's deficit in the NL West to five games back of Arizona, which lost to San Diego on Saturday.
Carlos Beltran went 3-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for the Giants, who have won seven straight to get back into the playoff chase.
Eric Surkamp started on the mound, but was pulled after 4 2/3 innings as he had walked six and given up a run on three hits with four strikeouts. Waldis Joaquin (1-0) earned the first win of his career for getting the final two outs of the seventh inning.
Santiago Casilla worked a shaky ninth inning for his fifth save of the season.
Dexter Fowler drove in two and scored once while Jordan Pacheco, Mark Ellis and Wilin Rosario each drove in a run for the Rockies, who have lost four of five.
"You have to give our young kids a lot of credit for the effort they put out there tonight," said Colorado manager Jim Tracy. "We battled and scratched back, just came up a little short."
Drew Pomeranz gave up just two runs on four hits with two walks and five strikeouts over 5 2/3 innings. Huston Street (1-4) gave up four runs -- three earned -- while recording just one out in the eighth to take the loss.
Trailing by a run in the eighth, the Giants went ahead with a four-run frame.
Street started the inning on the mound and Andres Torres greeted him with a single. Jeff Keppinger then reached base on a Street throwing error. Beltran then doubled home a run and, after Mark DeRosa struck out, Pill brought home two more with his second triple of the game. Aubrey Huff later reached on a fielder's choice to score Pill for a 6-3 lead.
After Sergio Romo worked out of a jam in the eighth, Casilla came on for the ninth and got the first out, but then gave up a single to Seth Smith and Ty Wigginton worked a walk. Ellis then hit an opposite-field double to score a run and put the tying run on second base. Rosario followed with a groundout to short that scored Wigginton, but Hector Gomez struck out to end the game.
An RBI single from Eric Surkamp in the second inning put the Giants on top, but the Rockies tied it in the fifth when Pacheco singled home Dexter Fowler, who had walked and stolen second.
San Francisco went back on top in the sixth when DeRosa walked and, after Matt Belisle took over for Pomeranz, Pill tripled for a 2-1 lead.
Fowler, though, came through for the Rockies in the sixth when he hit a two- run single for a 3-2 lead.
The winning streak matches a season-high for the Giants...Ellis has a 10-game hitting streak...San Francisco has won 10 of the 14 games against Colorado this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Sep 17 11:58 PM
- Wilin Rosario grounded out short to first scored Ty Wigginton. Runner on second with two outs and Hector Gomez due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 5 Bot 9, 2 OutsSep 17 11:55 PM
- Mark Ellis doubled to right scored Seth Smith. On the play, Ty Wigginton advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 4 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 17 11:52 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Aubrey Huff reached on a fielder's choice scored Brett Pill. Runner on first with one out and Justin Christian due up.
Giants 6, Rockies 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 17 11:16 PM
- Brett Pill tripled to center scored Emmanuel Burriss and Carlos Beltran. Runner on third with one out and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 3 Top 8, 1 OutSep 17 11:10 PM
- Dexter Fowler singled to right scored Hector Gomez and Kevin Kouzmanoff. On the play, Eric Young Jr. advances to third. Fowler thrown out at second, right to third to short. Runner on third with two outs and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 17 10:36 PM
- Brett Pill tripled to right scored Mark DeRosa. Runner on third with two outs and Orlando Cabrera due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 17 10:18 PM
- Jordan Pacheco singled to left scored Dexter Fowler. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Giambi due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 17 9:55 PM
- Sherry I'm in Florida and am watching the Giants vs Rockies on our computer. I was told to go here to see something. What can I get here that I can't see on the computer? Or am I suppose to share what I am seeing? Right NOW... bottom of 4th, Rockies up. ____ at bat.
Giants 1, Rockies 0 Mid 4Sep 17 9:32 PM
- Eric Surkamp singled to center scored Justin Christian. Runner on first with two outs and Andres Torres due up.
Giants 1, Rockies 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 17 8:59 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 17 8:32 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21