Kouzmanoff, Pacheco power Rockies to win over GiantsSep 29, 2011 - 12:54 AM
Drew Pomeranz (2-1) tossed 5 2/3 innings of three-run ball to pick up the win. Acquired from the Indians in the Ubaldo Jimenez deal, Pomeranz scattered six hits while fanning three for the Rockies, who finished the regular season at 73-89.
"We're going to get busy here a hell of a lot sooner than later and work on some of the things that are necessary to turn the tables on what is definitely a disappointing season," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of the 2011 season.
Giants rookie Eric Surkamp (2-2) was roughed up for four runs in 4 2/3 innings. He allowed eight hits while striking out three and walking two.
Mark DeRosa had two hits and knocked in two runs for the Giants.
The defending World Series Champions ended the year 86-76.
"The fact that we were able to be in it at the end with the injuries that we had, the ball not bouncing our way, those hits that didn't seem to fall for us. We learned a lot about the caliber of men that I was playing alongside with," Giants pitcher Sergio Romo said of the 2011 campaign.
Eric Young led off the game with a stand-up triple, as he sliced a fly ball off the right field wall. He scored on Dexter Fowler's line drive single up the middle. Seth Smith brought Fowler home with an RBI groundout.
The Rockies tacked on two more runs in the fifth on a pair of RBI singles by Kouzmanoff and Pacheco.
San Francisco made it a 4-3 game with three runs in the sixth. Jeff Keppinger singled to center to score Justin Christain, who doubled to left to start the frame. DeRosa plated two with a single to center.
Colorado added two more runs in the seventh on a Kouzmanoff RBI double to right-center field, and a Pacheco run-scoring single.
Rafael Betancourt came on in the ninth to earn his eighth save of the season.
The Rockies improved to 25-23 against left-handed starters this year, but went 48-66 against right-handed starters...Colorado finishes its season 35-46 on the road, while San Francisco finishes its year 46-35 at home.
- COLORADO: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Sep 28 6:41 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to center scored Kevin Kouzmanoff with one out. On the play, Seth Smith advances to second. Runners on first and second with Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 6, Giants 3 Top 7, 1 OutSep 28 5:55 PM
- Kevin Kouzmanoff double to center scored Mark Ellis with one out. Runner on second with Seth Smith due up.
Rockies 5, Giants 3 Top 7, 1 OutSep 28 5:45 PM
- Mark DeRosa single to center scored Jeff Keppinger and Brett Pill with two out. Runner on first and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Rockies 4, Giants 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 28 5:35 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to center scored Justin Christian with none out. Runner on first and Andres Torres due up.
Rockies 4, Giants 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 28 5:24 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to center scored Kevin Kouzmanoff with two out. On the play, Seth Smith advances to second. Runners on first and second with Ty Wigginton due up.
Rockies 4, Giants 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 28 4:59 PM
- Seth Smith walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 3, Giants 0 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 28 4:56 PM
- Pitchers confirmed.
Rockies 2, Giants 0 Bot 1, 0 OutsSep 28 3:58 PM
- Dexter Fowler single to center scored Eric Young Jr. with none out. Runner on first and Mark Ellis due up.
Rockies 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 0 OutsSep 28 3:48 PM
- COLORADO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 3:46 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21